Crypt Open Night

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
EmeraldE

Crypt Open Night

Post by EmeraldE »

Hi all
Just got back from Crypt. Never been there before and I was not too sure what to make of it all!The boys all seemed very down to earth and helpful. The head was informative and making it his mission to ensure we all knew Crypt was equal to any of the other grammars in the county.

DS1 enjoyed the languages and history department and DS2 the labs. Staff seemed friendly and helpful.

What did you think??

gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I will wait to see what others visiting tonight thought-as a Crypt parent whose son absolutely hated the school on first sight it is always interesting to see if visitors can get past the "horrible building" view!!!
if you need any info please ask away!

GM
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sorry bit Off Topic but what is the origin of the name of the school?
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

The original school was part of St Mary de Crypt church in Southgate Street according to wikipedia.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

many thanks cheltdad!
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Interesting you mention the building. I have just been to Tommies and it looked dirty from the outside. Inside it was rather untidy, lockers bashed in, bags and coats on top of lockers etc. but I guess we were seeing nit 'at work' and not Ofsted prep'd. That said I can see past the buildings and to the kids/teachers there.

I can imagine unappealing settings would be extremely off putting to those who had no idea what to expect. Pates kind of steals the limelight on this aspect of the school, very clean, ordered and new.

However, it's not all about the 'look' of the place but the 'life' within it

:0)

Burneth

Post by Burneth »

hermanmunster wrote:Sorry bit Off Topic but what is the origin of the name of the school?
This is taken from their website...

1528 John Cooke, mercer and four times Mayor of the City of Gloucester made a will in which he directed his wife “stablish and ordeyn a contynuall frescole of gramer for the erudiction of children and scolersâ€
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now