Whitgift - Questions on Scholarships

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Alphamum

Whitgift - Questions on Scholarships

Post by Alphamum »

Hi, I am wondering if anyone, with experience/knowledge, can tell me a bit more about how to obtain scholarships from Whitgift/Trinity? I heard about people being offered 100% scholarship but some friends told me its not likely, I got a feeling its part-music/part-academic so it totals to 100% fund. How "academic" the child has to be or how good must he be in his music? Does anyone have any ideas or experience? Your reply is much appreciated. Many thanks!
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi

Not sure about either of those schools giving 100% scholarships, but I understand their bursary scheme is quite generous.

My DS was offered academic scholarships for both; in these times we went for the larger offer!! They also do sports and DT (for Trinity) scholarships.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

hello,
I have friends with children at both.You are right that they don't give out 100% scholarships as you say, they share it around, but they do have a significant bursary system outlined on the website.

Realistically you are looking at 20% - 30 tops.The boys who got the the sports scholarships at Whitgift got 20% and played at national level, ie picked for England youth squads. The academic scholarship again just amounts to the same.

In music I know that the standard is very high.I know that the 20% again would be availiable to a very musical child.Usually we are talking about grade5 + preferably in more than one instrument.
However I am sure they could spot raw potential somehow too. I only know one child offered an academic scholarship and he was bright enough to pass for the grammars but by no means top of his primary class, so clever but not a genius.
Suppose I am saying don't be put off.You can only try.
You have nothing to lose by trying and do check out the bursary info, I think it went all the way up to 70 K per annum. :shock:
showme

Post by showme »

Whitgift sometimes offer academic scholarships of up to 50%, but they're more usually 10%-20%, sports scholarships are up to 30% but the standard is very, very high.

Boys quite often have scholarships topped up by bursaries and that can reach 100% (one of ds' friends is in this position) - the bursaries tail off quite dramatically at the higher end of the salary bracket though
Alphamum

Post by Alphamum »

Thanks to all for your reply... it helps to hear from people who have personally come across this themselves or know someone who does... :)
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Alphamum

I have sent you a PM.

M23
Alphamum

Post by Alphamum »

Thanks mummytothree, I have PM you back but not sure if it is sent as nothing is shown in my Sent box. Please let me know if you haven't received.

Kind regards.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now