quick query re panel questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
confused mum bucks

quick query re panel questions

Post by confused mum bucks »

Many thanks to all those posting with your appeal experineces, I can't say how much help it is top us still to face the ordeal! I have one query, a number of you have stated that the panel asked how your child reacted after each test, how did they feel it went? Does anyone know what the panel are looking for here? My son bounced out of the first test feeling he had done really well (although he had only had 5 hrs sleep the night before!) and got 119, thought the second test was harder but also got 119?
Many congratulations to those have hav g ot through and my thought are with all of you going through this hideous journey !!
Confused mum bucks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't know what there looking for - be honest - say 'He thought the first one went OK but he'd only had 5 hours sleep the night before'

'He thought the second was harder'

I'm not sure there's anything 'behind' such a question - unless Etienne knows better.
Ana Maria

Post by Ana Maria »

Hello
I would also like some advice on how to answer the question of "how did your child react after the test" please.
My daughter scored 115 in the first paper because she didn't finish it in time and missed out a whole section! She knew she had not done enough to pass. She scored 119 second time around and again was very quiet when she came home although slighty more positive having completed the paper.
Do I tell the panel she didn't complete the paper?
She had scores of 129 and 131 in her NFER papers so CAN do this test but the pressure was just too much in the real thing.

Thanks
Ana
GM

Post by GM »

Hi Ana Maria,

My daughter didn't finish the first paper and complete the second one. I told the panel about it when they asked me. Our case was successful. So I think it is OK. BTW, my daughter had got 133 and 128 in previouse VRT as well.

Good Luck to you.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

She had scores of 129 and 131 in her NFER papers so CAN do this test but the pressure was just too much in the real thing.
Ana Maria - you have answered your own question! Her previous scores were comfortably in the pass zone, ignoring standardisation. Pressure is a real factor for the children - tell the panel what you have told us about your daughter's reaction. It is the truth, and along with her academic record is the best you can offer.

Sally-Anne
Bubbly

Post by Bubbly »

Hi

We have our appeal this afternoon and one of the questions asked was, how would our son cope in a grammar school which may have alot of children who had scored much higher in their eleven plus. I was not quite sure how to answer this one. I did mention that he has already been through this at his present school when the results came out, and obviously disappointed with his result but he was happy for his friends that passed and could empthasise with the ones that did not.

Not sure what I should have said, any input from anyone?

Bubbly
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

Thats quite a good question,
I think Id probably have said "Yes there are many children at GS who achieved much higher marks in the 11+ test, but It is down to the day and circumstances of how a child performs in these types of tests. Academically, my son could possibly perform as well as those children and may achieve higher grades than those children who scored higher in the tests "
I dont know would this be pushing it a bit or is it a suitable answer???
Gladly hear anyone elses views on this.
DM
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I recognise this question - ours was something like 'How will your child cope when there are lots of children with VRQs of 135+'

VR score does not equate to ability - one of the most able children I taught at a Grammar school got in on appeal [117 in the old days with best two papers averaged]- got straight A*s at GCSE, 4 A grades at A level and went to medical school!!!

The most difficult children to teach were those with high VR scores who then thought they did not need to work ....

There will not be lots of children at the 'top end' - the 'average' of all Grammar intakes is somewhere around 128. [I found this out from Bucks by asking!]
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A very odd question, and perhaps a bit silly.

The pass mark is 121, and any child achieving that mark is deemed perfectly capable of coping at a GS.

Only roughly 10% of children achieve 141. The rest are much nearer 121, as Guest55 says.

If a child is close to 121 they should also be perfectly capable of coping at a GS.

Sally-Anne
confused mum bucks

Post by confused mum bucks »

Have just heard that we are through the appeal!!! On the day our son's academic achievment spoke for itself, helped with a great yr 5 report and strong school support. Such a relief, am so proud of my son!! Many thanks to all those who have helped us through and my thoughts are with those who have not been successful and those still going through the process.
at last not confused but very happy and proud
Mum Bucks!! :D :D :D !!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now