BHS 12+ entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummog

BHS 12+ entry

Post by mummog »

I should know the answer to this question but am now slightly confused). Is entry to BHS via the normal 12+ route or do they (as someone told me earlier this week) set four internal papers? We have been trying to decide whether or not our DD should sit the 12+ for weeks now as she has settled so well into her secondary school, but now is obviously crunch time as the closing date is looming!

Thanks
Mummog x
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Just apply.

You can always pull out at some later date if daughter doesn't want to do it.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As far as I know, Beaconsfield High handed back responsibility for late selection testing to the County.
Etienne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks Etienne and Dad40. I have just one more query. In Sally-Anne's 12+ sticky, it states that the child needs to have Level 5's in English and Maths to be eligible. My DD gained a Level 5 in English and Science (4A in Maths). Would these results be sufficient for her to sit the 12+? I could not bear the thought of an appeal for the right to be tested!
I think this question has been asked before so apologies everyone - I did try to find it, promise!

Many thanks
Mummog x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It looks to me, mummog, that you would probably have to appeal for your daughter to sit the test.
If your child has already taken the 11+ tests and not achieved a qualifying score, then we would expect your child to have gained Level 5 at Key Stage 2 SATs in both English and Maths before agreeing a late transfer test.
If your child has not undertaken SATs then please forward their latest end of term school report (July 2009)
Testing Decisions
If, as a result of the information received, we refuse to test your child for September entry you will have the right to appeal against this decision. This is a ‘Refuse to Test Appeal’. If you request an appeal, you will need to demonstrate to the Independent Appeal Panel (IAP) that your child currently performs well at school and present extenuating reasons for any underperformance to date and that they would be best placed in a grammar school. The IAP will want to see as much evidence of academic ability as possible.
Don't let this put you off if you believe the late selection procedure is right for your daughter.
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

We have been trying to decide whether or not our DD should sit the 12+ for weeks now as she has settled so well into her secondary school
mummog, we’re in the same situation. DD well settled, enjoying her secondary modern immensely, gaining confidence from being in all the top sets, doesn’t like change at the best of times, etc etc.

We took the view that there were a lot of ifs and buts along the way and have put her name down just to keep our options open. She doesn’t have to sit the test, if she does and passes, she still doesn’t have to move schools, but if does at least give you the choice.
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi Rob, I have been following your posts and was aware that you were going ahead with 12+ for your daughter (good luck by the way). My problem now is the Level 5's in Maths and English. It seems really unfair to me that, at a time when the government are going all out to get children interested in science, Bucks CC do not deem that achievement in science has equal merit as achievement in maths! Can anyone shed any light on why they have changed their requirements this year in terms of the final Yr6 SATS results? I notice in another posting of yours that your son is in a lower maths set at GS. Surely if the GS's set for maths, they are catering for those who may be slightly less capable in this subject anyway.

Thanks
Mummog
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mummog

These are my suspicions only, but I know that there is a grain of truth behind much of it.

The 12+ and 13+ are really a bit of a pain for Bucks CC Admissions, but on the other hand they are a useful way of filling surplus places at Bucks GSs, and I think the undersubscribed schools would be pretty fed up if the Late Transfer Test was abolished.

So I think the agenda here is to make the test as "efficient" as possible, by only accepting candidates with 2 x Level 5 SATs. That requirement has gradually crept into the process over the last couple of years, and has led to the pass rate increasing to around 80%.

As Maths & English are the two elements that go to make up the NFER VR test, proficiency in those subjects might be considered to be a good benchmark of "those most likely to pass", and therefore this year Bucks have named those subjects.

I have every sympathy for you though, and I agree with Etienne that you should appeal if your application for testing is refused. DS1 took the 12+ and passed comfortably, even though he was barely Level 5 in English, and Level 5 in Maths & Science.

I wrote on here recently that he was doing exceptionally well at his GS in Science, he was in the top third for Maths, but that English was still not a great strength. I have had to eat my words though, because a piece of his work has just been praised to the skies and used as an example to the rest of the class. :shock:

It is worth the fight - provided you can show how well your DD does in English & Science, I would hope that a panel would have sympathy for you. This type of appeal is generally more successful than others.

Good luck!

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks for your continuing support Sally-Anne. I think we must go for it and perhaps I can come back for some help when it comes to the appeal. If anyone has any nuggets of wisdom I might use to support my theory that science is as worthy as maths, I would love to hear them!

Mummog x
dejavu

12+ testing

Post by dejavu »

Hi Mummog

I sent you an email, but in case you haven't had time to look..... I was really surprised about County changing the criteria. When we successfully applied for the12+ test last year DD had level 5 for maths and science, and level 4a for English. But the teacher assessments were all level 5. I would have thought if your DD's maths teacher assessment was level 5, it would carry some weight if you have to go for an appeal, as they are a truer reflection of her ability (as opposed to one test result on one particular day). Also, sats aren't age standardised unlike the 11+, and if your child is younger they are at a disadvantage, which would also go in your favour.

Also, the current head has to say if your child is suitable. We contacted my DD's one prior to applying and said that although she was really enjoying school, she narrowly missed out on the 11+ and really wanted to have another go, but if she didn't passs, then we were sure she would continue to thrive at her current school and be really happy there. If you know that your current head thinks DD is suitable and recommends her, then that is another string to your bow in the awful event that you have to appeal to sit the test. As S-A says, these types of appeals are much more successful. From memory I think it was Rash (sorry, can't remember if I've got the name/spelling right) who had to fight for an appeal to sit the test, and her DC passed and got a place.

Good luck x
many thanks
dejavu