Billericay School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BillericayBoy

Billericay School

Post by BillericayBoy »

Slightly off topic on a 11+ forum but does anyone have any experience of The Billericay School?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,

Not a lot , sorry just the odd second hand comment from people who have done supply there etc.I haven't heard anything negative about it and there is order in class ,so the teachers can teach which is good!

Most people I know from the area prefer the other large comp but I haven't actually ever heard anything negative about this school.Last Ofsted was good too for what that is worth.

Sorry to not be more informative. As well as going to open evenings , I would def recommend asking to be shown around on a working day.Most schools will do this and you get a more realistic picture.
Good luck
Notley Mum

Post by Notley Mum »

Hi

I have a professional involvement with the school and I have found it to be a good school. Not just good results, but teaching staff who care and are keen to ensure that they are doing a good job and giving the pupils the best chance of sucess.

Hope that helps :D
Bigbird

The Billericay School

Post by Bigbird »

I have a daughter in year 9 at Billericay and an older son (now at uni) who went there too. It is a large school with 1500 pupils (which petrified me to start with) but has some excellent systems in place to ensure each child/family gets a personalised 'service'. In fact they seem to constantly be looking at ways to improve, which I think is great. On the downside I feel I need keep an eye on my daughter to ensure she works to achieve HER potential rather than just the potential of her peers, but I suspect that is the case for most children at non-selective schools.
Daniel121

Post by Daniel121 »

I attend this school 2000-2005 and the sixth form 2005-2007 so could be of some use if anyone has any questions about the school.

Yep it is a pretty big school. I certainly remember getting lost on the first day. From year 8, everything apart from English was streamed when I was there so the brightest are stretched and the weakest given the help they need

By sixth form everyone who doesn't want to learn has left/ failed to get the grades. Back when I saw there History/Politics and Maths were seen as quite strong and Physics teaching was seen as a bit iffy. From our year people got into Sheffield, Warwick, Bristol, Nottingham and Cambridge.

All in all a pretty decent state school and one providing an education some £3000 cheaper than St John's up the road!