Reading school 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Katherine

Reading school 2009

Post by Katherine »

Hi
My boy is preparing for the Reading school 2009. I cannot atttend the open days. can somebody mention any important news -if any on that open day.
Also a few weeks to go - can parents of boys reading school test- give some tips for the test preparation for the last few weeks. Many thanks

_Like what all they have to take - pencil etc
_can they do workout on the question paper or will they will be given extra sheet for workout?
_ important topics they have to revise etc.
many thanks
stevew61

Re: Reading school 2009

Post by stevew61 »

Katherine wrote:Hi
My boy is preparing for the Reading school 2009. I cannot atttend the open days. can somebody mention any important news -if any on that open day.
Also a few weeks to go - can parents of boys reading school test- give some tips for the test preparation for the last few weeks. Many thanks

_Like what all they have to take - pencil etc
_can they do workout on the question paper or will they will be given extra sheet for workout?
_ important topics they have to revise etc.
many thanks
Hi,

My information is based on 2006 :shock: hopefully some one with more recent information will be along shortly (nudge BW 2007 & 2008 :lol: )

Open days are a general chat by the head and head of admissions they give out some information about last years intake, the general message is that many boys will be the only boy from their school to get in, so don't let that put you off. Also don't worry if your boy is obsessed with computer games, ipods and has weak English, that is a typical Reading boy!

You should have an information pack detailing arrangements for test day?

Last few weeks preparation, keep it low key and fun, build confidence, do some old papers and get some high scores, talk about exam technique, remember if on the day it is hard then it is hard for everybody, keep calm and carry on. :)

steve
Katherine

Post by Katherine »

Hi steve
Many thanks for your confident answer.
the problem with my answer was he was good in maths and non verbal tests but for the few last tests he is getting a little low scores in these test which makes him cry. i try to encourage him but he is still feeling sad.
i wished the test is over ...its long time
Once More -Thanks, steve for your reply.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Katherine wrote:the problem with my answer was he was good in maths and non verbal tests but for the few last tests he is getting a little low scores in these test which makes him cry.
Take a break. :) Sounds like he is tired, not long till half term.

Happy boys are successful boys (to quote the head at Reading :lol: )

Your son has probably peaked, best to rebuild his confidence, don't push too hard, tell him how pleased you are with all the work he has done, he will have a good chance on the day.

What maths papers are you using? Reading Maths is more KS2 than the harder 11+ maths papers that you can buy. Have a look at a KS2 maths paper, you can download them for free. :)

Good luck & best wishes,

steve
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Total agreement with Steve. He needs a break to regroup. Let him have a break. Play games, read books, focus on other things, rebuild confidence then retry a paper in 4-5 days time, perhaps one that he's previously done. Should really help him.

As to the exam... They are given separate paper to do any working out on. Maths is KS2 level and so is English, again try downloading old ones. It's been NVR for the past two years so, probably time for a change (but who knows :roll: )
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now