lurkers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

lurkers

Post by Milla »

I've been wondering - and believe me, it's not a pretty sight.

The thing is, the numbers. Whenever I come on here, and particuarly recently, the forum quotes that there are - for instance, now - 70 people on the forum. At this moment 8 are accounted for with names (like mine) running across the bottom; 4 are "hidden" - whatever that means; and FIFTY EIGHT are guests. Now, what's that all about??

Once exams are taken in various regions, I notice the number of names there swell, the amount of people prepared or willing to join in and add their tuppenceworth or ask opinions / for help, the number of people wanting yippees or consolation for their triumphs / test-result-related-rethinks suddenly increases quite dramatically.

So, why don't people join in before that? Is it (harshest scenario) that they want to suck the blood from the forum but are reluctant to offer anything in return in case they give an edge to a "competitior"? Is it that they feel too freaked to comment? Do they feel, perhaps, "unworthy" to join in, since what they have to say cannot possibly be on a par with the wonderful wise words of those already posting (I certainly started off slow, not wanting to dive in all presumptuous, but work my way up having sussed the mood). Or are they perhaps a different fifty eight each time just happening to be passing by?

It goes without saying that I know this may sound a bit stroppy but just interested as to the reasons behind non-participation.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Lurkers may be shy. Try and remember when you first started visiting, didn't everyone sound a bit mad. :shock:

It's just that now we're mad too! :lol:
Milla

Post by Milla »

yes, well, I was shy and not wanting to be pushy, but they do tend to come out later and I just want 'em to come out NOW!! Nosy and greedy, me.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Mila,

In the old days :lol: you could post as a non-registered guest, it got very confusing as a lot of "guests" discussed issues. :lol:

I lurked and posted as an unregistered user for a year and a bit.

I guess a lot of people read the information, buy the products and are reluctant to register, nothing sinister. :)

The more lurkers the better, remember once you join it is Hotel California rules, you can checkout anytime but you can never leave. :lol:

Maybe a lurker would like to register and offer an opinion, maybe a bright spark could use the 'poll' feature on the forum.

steve
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

I joined a little while ago, but have only just started participating. I don't feel I can contribute much, as I feel I know nothing at the moment :)

An interesting study would be to see whether the number of lurkers was greater on this forum than on, say, GCSE forums. Also, whether it varied at different times of the year. Perhaps someone could set an 11+ question on it... that'd really sort out the children, tutored at 5am or not...

On the other hand, maybe the large number of lurkers is down to the article in The Observer last weekend. :D
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

:lol: :lol:

Actually, if they want information, they should come out now. After the results and allocation, lots of posters disappear, so much less information is about. :roll:

edit:too slow with my post, Sally got in first.

Ah not lurkers - Observers :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

My name is CM and I am a reformed lurker :oops: :oops:

Seriously - I did lurk for a while.Mostly because I knew one of the regulars would say what I would have for me.I think I finally joined when I was enraged at some contraversial point or other and could hold back no more.
Thing is though and there should be a health warning about this, once you post you are hooked! :shock:
Milla

Post by Milla »

tell me about it :?
it's like shopping at the garden centre (guess who's currently got mud under her nails?) you're ok, til you pick up the first plant and then it's chaos. Or it is for me :cry:
Also, seriously, it's just more fun if more join in. Maybe it's because my own geographical county is VERY quiet (Glos) I just wish there were more doing their fretting etc publicly. "Sharing" if I dare sound American.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Sally Herts - GCSE forums??!!! You mean there are other forums where I can while away several more hours a day fretting about my eldest when there's nothing happing here? Point me in the right direction please!!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

that's what I mean ... more posters = more time passed when feeling stressy!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now