Wallington

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tree

Wallington

Post by Tree »

at the risk of getting a bit friends reunitedy i went to wallington high school in 1977 left in 1984 it's funny cos in my day wallington was lots better academically than wilsons and on a par with sutton it's interesting how its all changed around. i now live in bucks just gone through 11 plus with ds here and the 11 plus was v different then for me i did almost no work for it and rememebr lots of confusing questions about maps?? and was never told my result just that i'd got in and some cryptic remarks from headteacher (the infamous mr harrison) about did'nt do too badly. do they still have assault course for 1st years with the infamous wall and river plunge? aah happy memories well mostly!
Tree

Post by Tree »

just noticed a post saying getting a new sports hall please don't tell me still using the old one from my day it was ancient then
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

very very ancient :shock:
Amoda

Post by Amoda »

To be honest, I'm not sure why many people have Wallington as their last choice grammar school in the area. My son who is in Year 6 and passed the Wallington test is really keen on going there but the rest of his school friends absolutely hated Wallington, with a passion! However, none of then were able to say exactly why.

Academically, it is not that far off from the others. Admittedly, they are a slightly lower down when it comes to GCSEs but at A-levels, they are up there with Wilson's and beat Tiffin and Sutton.

Would agree with surreymum and tree that the sports hall story has been going on for a bit too long! However, they have started building it (pictures for all to see on the website) and that should bring the sports facilities up to scratch.

I really would be interested in why people do not like it. Maybe I missed something when I went on the open day. :?
Plum

Post by Plum »

Have to say I was more impressed with it today than I was on the open evening. DS doesn't like it "coz its all old" but today he liked it more when I pointed out the newer buildings and he was quite taken with the old sports hall being turned into art studios. He also liked the idea of the new sports hall. It was nice that some of the teachers came out of class to explain what they were doing and chat with the boys.

My husband also went to Wally Boys (left in 1986) and when we were at the open evening in the summer said that it had hardly changed at all. The DT & music block used to be the art block and there used to be a piano in the dining hall that his friend's brother used to sometimes play to enterain the boys at lunchtime! Back in our day, Wallington Boys was the one to go to with Wilson's being the runner up - how times have changed.

Plum
Tree

Post by Tree »

OMG the art block's not the art block anymore it was so convenient for slipping out to buy cigs through the goods entrance whilst petending to work on your A level piece, I didn't realise this forum could be so nostalgic.
Plum

Post by Plum »

Well there you go!

As a Wally Girl, we heard all sorts of rumours about boys climbing on the art block roof and jumping off as well as fights at The Stone Bridge in the park - I hope that sort of thing doesn't happen any more, especially if my son is going there!!!!

Plum