Partially selective schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Partially selective schools

Post by Guest »

Can anyone who has understood the new admissions code please help in clarifying where these schools stand now? Will they by law have to take local children? If so, how many?
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Guest,

If you read this week's Watford Observer, even the Head of Watford Grammar for Boys is confused. No hope for the rest of us :shock:

HP

Post by Guest »

Could you give details of the headline, I can't find it. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

Isn't Watford Grammar School for Boys the school that deleted the siblings criterion on receiving the draft admissions code in October? If this is the case there must be awful lot of angry parents around there who would have not applied to the school believing it was changing. What will the authorities do now?

Post by Guest »

HP wrote: If you read this week's Watford Observer, even the Head of Watford Grammar for Boys is confused. No hope for the rest of us :shock:
HP
Could you tell us what it says?

Post by Guest »

I understand the school that DFES has modelled the admissions code on has decided that from 2008, siblings of those children who gained a place through the entrance test would not be entitled to a place but siblings that gain a place through other criteria would be entitled to a place. This is will make way for more local children. This has also been mentioned at my local partially selective Herts school.
resmum

partially selective schools

Post by resmum »

Not surprised even the schools don't know what's going on.

After all the government now want heads of good schools to ignore catchment areas and select pupils by lottery.

Wonder how much the tickets will cost and if Camelot will be called in to run it?

Resmum

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Isn't Watford Grammar School for Boys the school that deleted the siblings criterion on receiving the draft admissions code in October? If this is the case there must be awful lot of angry parents around there who would have not applied to the school believing it was changing. What will the authorities do now?
I don't think it was Watford Grammar School for Boys. As far as I am aware the admissions criteria did not change significantly for those applying this year.
HP

Post by HP »

Hi

The article to which I refer isn't on the Watford Observor's website unfortunately. Important bits as follows:

Headline is "Sibling rule wording leads to confusion" Article states that Claire Ward is claiming victory in saving the Sibling Rule but states - quote

"the Government's new guidelines for school admissions, published this week, have headteachers so confused schools minister Jum Knight has arranged a meeting to explain them"

Headteacher at Watford Grammar for boys, Martin Post said 'The wording on the admissions of siblings has turned a mess nto a muddle'

Mr Post said 'I'm currently not clear what the quidelines actually mean or how the adjudicator will interpret them when they come in'"

There is more from Queens' school Headmaster who is happy with the ruling, but my typing skills aren't up to copying the whole article. Its in this week's Watford Observor for anyone interested in reading more.

HP

Post by Guest »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... edu207.xml

Thanks HP for you response. I found this article about siblings that may be of interest to you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now