WRITTEN APPEAL ON SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
feelinsad

WRITTEN APPEAL ON SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES

Post by feelinsad »

We have just had the results to say that our child has failed Urmston Grammar by 24 marks. Which is quite alot, however she missed the automatic review by 4!. I am seeking help on trying to put forward a case for an appeal - it's quite a long story.

June 08 I suffered from septacemia and it was touch and go - the children were told that I was going to die. I had to stay in hospital until the end of November because I had my legs amputated. I then had to go into a care home - because our house is not adaptable. We were finally reunited as a famiy in March 09 and are living in temporary accom.

My DD is the middle child and has been the mainstay of the family supporting our younger child both emotionally and physically - our DS was under 5 at the time.

Finally I think it became too much for her and as our family rejoined let everything go she has finally been diagnosed by the GP as suffering from Post Traumatic Stress and we are waiting for our child social services to come up with a consellor - the local primary schools don't offer "support".

Our DD was attaining high academic levels and at the end of May when she sat the end of year tests was at level 4a bordering on level 5.

The Headteacher supported us with a letter which was to be considered if she had faied by the 20 marks.

Does anyone think it worth while an appeal or would we be offering false hope and should concentrate on finding alternative schooling - the local girls high school is not the environment for her. I would just like some advice on how to write a written appeal- if anyone can help?

I have already posted this on the Trafford index.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

feelinsad - I'm sure one of the appeal experts will be along shortly to give you some advice on how to draft an appeal. I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about the awful time you and your family have been having. If ever an appeal deserved to be heard your daughter's does and I wish you the very best of luck with it.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:(

What a tough time you have had. I wish you all the very best.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear feelinsad

So sorry to hear of your disappointment.

It's a good idea to do a lot of reading first. See the Announcement and the Q&As (follow link in top line of this page).

You'll find an example of an appeal against non-qualification here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b21
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#e11

You have plenty of extenuating circumstances, but you'll probably need a lot of academic evidence too.
For the sort of evidence you might need, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11

If the appeals are after 1st March, you'll probably be appealing against oversubscription too. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#c2
for possible arguments, and also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 672#107672

If you ask your Local Authority for the percentage success rate of grammar school appeals in recent years, they should tell you, assuming they are responsible for the appeals. If the grammar schools are foundation, and run their own appeals, then they should hold this information. In either case, they should be willing to give you the information under the Freedom of Information Act. Knowing the success rate of appeals will give you some idea of your chances of success.
Etienne
feelinsad

relief

Post by feelinsad »

I just want to say thank you. I felt so alone when my DD's results came through the post - she sat 4 exams at different schools in Trafford. Anyway I was given support in the appeal system and we have lodged a headmasters review - the results shall be out 9.11.

However we have received good news today as she passed at one of the schools that she desperatley wanted to go to. All we need to do is wait until 1.3.10 when it's schools allocation.

My DD is elated, the joy of seeing her face when I told her the results is something I will never forget.

I felt so terrible/useless when bad news after bad news arrived the forum gave me the sense that I was doing something positive to help.

Many thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Congratulation to your DD. :D

You'll have to change your name to notfeelinsosadanymore. 8)
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

feelinsad - I'm so glad! Congratulations to your daughter for doing so well in difficult circumstances. She's obviously a fighter like her mum and will grow into a strong, capable - not to mention well-educated - young lady!

I wish you and your family the very, very best for the future and hope this news signifies a change in fortune for you all.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Would also like to echo the above. I am full of admiration for you and your family. You are well overdue for some happy news
Very best wishes x
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well done feelinsad's dd - it's wonderful to receive good news.

Fingers crossed for your on NA day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now