Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
youngest

Coursework

Post by youngest »

Hi
New to GCSEs this year!
My oldest is cross because her friend at a different school is given directing comments and a grade for draft coursework in English before is is then redone.
DD has been told that teachers can't give a grade for draft coursework and only generalised comments.
What are the rules on "marking" drafts of coursework?
Thanks
KB

Post by KB »

Is it possible that it is different boards?
Or it could be that the school is interpreting guidelines from the exam board in a different way? This happened with the French oral at my daughter's school.
It might be worth looking on the web site of the exam board - they have quite alot of information on there. (Sorry if you have already tried this!!)
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

In my experience the amount of help DD1 was given with geography and english coursework was the correct amount under the exam board rules
But other schools do indeed seem to offer a lot more assistance.
If you "google" GCSE coursework you eventually come across quite a few schools who publish their guides for their students. We found some of these, especially for geog. rather useful.
BTW I thought the rules were changing (soon and not before time) so that work had to be written at school under controlled conditions?
Irritating that some schools do appear to infringe the rules though!
youngest

Post by youngest »

I think rules have changed ..... at least for some subjects.

For GCSE D & T in textiles technology, I have had to sign a sheet saying I am aware DD must not plagiarize and that coursework to be submitted will be produced only in the lessons at school!

No guidance from English and if anyone finds anything on the AQA website about coursework, please post a link! I will continue to search!
solimum

Post by solimum »

We are deep in the throes of Geography coursework at the moment.... AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
youngest

Post by youngest »

Not had any coursework for Geography yet!

Apparently the higher level ICT GCSE has more coursework and a smaller exam than the lower level one!

Are you going to tell me there is coursework for French and RE too!!?

And Maths?
KB

Post by KB »

Geography is the worst :)
I think Maths is all done in school now - thank goodness - it was awful.
Don't know about RS.
French depends on the option the school chooses - could be several essays!
Apparently ICT course work is very time consuming........
murtagh

Post by murtagh »

My DS didn't have coursework for his RE, but I think that depends on the board, but he has had coursework for French.
youngest

Post by youngest »

DD has finished for half term so will spend some time grilling her about coursework and will require the schoolbag to be emptied to show me all the information she has!
another mother

Post by another mother »

DD has no course work for RS (AQA I think). But quite a lot for Eng (OCR) and one essay I think for hist (OCR). none for maths or French either. Don't get me started on ART!