Previous VRT

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nervous Mother

Previous VRT

Post by Nervous Mother »

Hi Sally Anne,

I see you're awake. As usual thanks for the support. How do you know if the Year 4 & 5 VRT are standardized?

Thanks,

NM
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi NM

Obviously I wasn't awake, and haven't been for several days! Sorry I missed this.

(NM has now sent me a PM to wake me up on this post!)

My recollection is that Year 4 & 5 NFER VRT tests are standardised, but against a national base, rather than the higher standard of just Bucks. The real 11+ results are standardised against the Bucks cohort, so a higher score is needed to pass.

Patricia/Etienne - please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Sally-Anne
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Yes be careful we were wrong footed at the start of our appeal when the LEA representative, in response to a question from one of the panel members, explained that the two were not comparable. Until that point we thought that a score of over 121 on the Year 5 test showed that our child was capable of achieving a pass on the 11+, but apparently that's not the case.
Darren

Post by Darren »

So would you say Bucks Standardised scores or level is higher than other parts of the country ?

Darren,

Post by Guest »

Hi Darren

Yes, it definitely is. Something to do with us all being solid middle class parents with high ambitions for our children, or thereabouts.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Those who take the 11+ in Bucks are not a cross-section of the whole ability range. Weaker pupils are withdrawn and out-county entrants tend to be at least average.