Summer preparation for a late starter

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Peter31

Summer preparation for a late starter

Post by Peter31 »

Dear all

We have recently decided to enter our daughter for the Bexley and Newstead Wood selection tests this autumn.

We are Lewisham residents, and I understand that requires a top 180 place in Bexley, and that the NW exam is also highly competitive.

Our daughter is a bright girl, but has had almost no preparation. She has recently started taking some papers and we plan for her to do this over the summer - maths and verbal reasoning for Bexley and verbal and non-verbal reasoning for NW.

As time is short, I was wondering if anyone has advice as to the most appropriate papers to use? What about the interactive CD's, which would you recommend? Any other general advice?

I realise that leaving it so late is not ideal, but I'd like to think she still has a chance!

Best regards
Peter31
moved

Post by moved »

I like the tutors papers for VR, can't comment on NVR. There are 12 of them and the first 4 are really easy, next 4 are fine and the last 4 seem quite appropriate for pushing the able. Make sure you read all of their time saving techniques and teach her how to use them. Do lots of papers for maths, not sure about your area, Bond books are good value as there are many tests in a book. You can download samples from their website.

Their VR is not multiple choice, is yours, and so isn't as useful if it is.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Peter31 - have you registered your child for the Bexley test? I think this had to be done by 17 July for out of borough candidates.

Bexley tests are set by Nfer so you need to get the Maths and VR Nfer (multiple choice) practice papers. Don't use Bond VR for Bexley (if you look at the VR section you will see why - they contain lots of types that Nfer don't use). Bond are OK for maths. Also good for VR are Susan Daughtrey papers.
Peter31

Post by Peter31 »

Thanks for your replies

Yes, we have registered for the Bexley exam.

No prior preparation and a Lewsham state primary education are perhaps not ideal when the competition is clearly so tough, but she's doing test papers every day now over the summer hols and making progess.

Does anyone know about the Newstead Wood exam in November? Is the format still NVR and NR (the website info is from 2006)

Thanks again
Stripyem

Post by Stripyem »

I believe the Newstead Wood test is still the same - my daughter took it last year and has just started this September. She gets a private coach from Blackheath village which is shared with boys from St Olaves and that seems to working well, although we know a few girls who get the train from Hither Green. We only used the Bonds books and did about 1 practise test a week for 6 months before. They do two sittings for the text, so when I filled in the form I asked for the later one as the other would have meant leaving home about 7.30am which I didn't think would be great! Good luck.
Peter31

Post by Peter31 »

To update, DD managed a top 180 score (Score 268, VR138 Maths 130) which is what she needed as a Lewisham candidate. We took a chance but luckily a summer of daily mock tests did the trick. We even took a laptop on holiday for her. I don't think we could have kept it up for much longer though. I just wonder how that kind of intensive short term preparation compares against a more steady approach?

We now need to decide whether to go for a Bexley School (Chis & Sid is nearest) or try for the Newstead Wood exam?

Another thing, does anyone knows about the sibling criteria for out of borough kids in Bexley selective schools? If DD takes up her place on the basis of a top 180 mark does that mean her younger sister (currently year 4) could get in with a regular pass, even though we're in Lewisham?
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

Peter31

Congratulations to you and your DD for a fantastic result. It seems that she will have a very good shot at Newstead Wood.

But the question about your younger daughter is very relevant. It would be good to ask the school admissions secretary or Bexley Council how the sibling criteria works.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Peter31 - you should also bear in mind that admissions criteria can change and, whatever the situation is now, it may not be the same in 2 years time. I know I am not alone in thinking that the admissions criteria in Bexley is in serious need of an overhaul.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now