Is it possible to sit the 11+ exams on different dates?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Suey12

Is it possible to sit the 11+ exams on different dates?

Post by Suey12 »

My husband and myself have discovered that it's likely we will have to be away on separate business trips (USA and Europe) over the exact dates of the real tests (1st and 8th December). The only solution is for me (USA) to take our son with me. The dates are very unfortunate, but cannot be changed.

Has anyone ever heard of someone beling allowed to sit the real exams on a different date? Or to have the practice papers used, in some way, as the real assessment? I know it's an absurd question, but I need to find out our options. He needs to sit his 11+, and we need to be away from home.

Any help, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You will have to contact the admission authority to find out if that is possible. There is usually another sitting for children who were unwell or late applicants.

Can't imagine you would have any joy with practice papers being accepted.

added: A few years ago, I arranged to sit exams at the British Council whilst abroad (similar circumstances but not 11+).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I have heard of one child taking the 11 plus abroad - parents were with british military in germany or netherlands, they were due to return to UK and had already bought a house in the patch ready to move the family back. The LEA stood pretty firm about the child travelling back to take the test but as it was 3 days over 10 days they eventually relented.

Generally it is an absolute no no to take it anywhere else or at anothe time unless they are ill on the day. I think you may find that they say the child should be at school anyway and the dates of terms etc are well advertised!

You can see if they can do a late application sitting - sometimes (depending on the area ) these are after allocation day. However they may be quite strict as they are aware that some parents try to delay the test to give the kids a bit more time.

Sorry it doesn't sound so helpful, but depedning on the area they may come up with something.
guest43

Post by guest43 »

If I were you I would find someone for your child to stay with whilst you go away on business.

Whilst this may be hardly ideal given the importance of the 11+, taking your child on business trips and bunking school is barely acceptable at primary and in my view totally unacceptable at secondary and so you need to find a way forward now.
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

guest43 wrote:If I were you I would find someone for your child to stay with whilst you go away on business.

Whilst this may be hardly ideal given the importance of the 11+, taking your child on business trips and bunking school is barely acceptable at primary and in my view totally unacceptable at secondary and so you need to find a way forward now.
Thank you so much for your kind words and for stating the obvious. Have yourself a magical day. :wink:
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

mitasol wrote:You will have to contact the admission authority to find out if that is possible. There is usually another sitting for children who were unwell or late applicants.

Can't imagine you would have any joy with practice papers being accepted.

added: A few years ago, I arranged to sit exams at the British Council whilst abroad (similar circumstances but not 11+).
Thank you, I think one of us will have to change our travel dates (not easy, but easier than changing the 11+!) :)
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

Thanks hermanmunster, I think we'll be able to sort something out. I appreciate your thoughts. Obviously the last thing we want to do is disrupt our child's schooling or exams.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now