Dean Close School/Prep

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Dean Close School/Prep

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Would be interested to know how this school is perceived in the area, what the kids are like, how it compares to other co-ed schools such as Cheltenham College, Malvern etc. Is it good academically and if not is that because of it's intake and a bright kid would do well there? Any thoughts, opinions, advice much appreciated. Thanks! :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I can only give quite antiquated information (i.e. when i was Cheltenham girl many moons ago) but it wasn't considered much.......
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Cheltenham and the surrounding area has really surprised me. How can there be that many good schools, both GS and Inde, in such a small area. Is this the most affluent place in England? :?

Ignore that, I need to know about this school please!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm a Pates girl, obviously it is a wonderful area!!!

edited to add
A Pate's girl.....

my teachers would be turning in their graves"!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:. Is this the most affluent place in England? :?
If it is, then it certainly missed me!

Sorry, I can't help about Dean Close School Tips, other than driving past it every morning to get to work I know nothing about it - except perhaps that if you work there then you get a discount on the fees (almost applied for a job in the school office once!)
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
mum3

Post by mum3 »

Dean Close has a mixture of boarders and day pupils. Various children I know have gone there when failed to get into local grammar schools and do very well at GCSE, so obviously they are good at getting good results (make of that what you will :) ).

It has a Christian ethos, and a new Head just recently.

Cheltenham is pretty affluent. We have Dean Close, Cheltenham College plus obviously Cheltenham Ladies College (which is in a bit of different league regarding intake to the others) so the town is used to the private school brigade. Pate's Grammar School is a super selective grammar school with quite a big intake from the private sector (bit of a bone of contention from us state schoolers!), and gets better results than Dean Close/Chelt College. There was a bit in the Telegraph last year about Pate's v Cheltenham College in their 'town v gown' section, might be worth seeing if you can find that. There are also two girls and two boys grammar schools in Gloucester, plus two v g comprehensives in Cheltenham.

Not sure how Dean Close compares to Cheltenham College academically, much the same I would imagine. Think you might be better posting on the independent sector for the sort of information you want regarding Dean Close, we all tend to be a bit rabidly pro state schools on this section.:)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yes, I thought it was out of the Ladies College league but wasn't sure if it was seen as a lesser school to Cheltenham College. They have an excellent professional choir, hence my interest, and it felt quite down to earth eventhough the fees are quite steep. If there is little difference to CC then that is fine, I was just concerned it was viewed as the weak school in the town. Obviously I am not comparing it to the GS due to their selectivity.

MOD'S can you either move this thread or duplicate it on the inde section please.
mum3

Post by mum3 »

No, I wouldn't think it is viewed as the weak school in the town compared to Cheltenham College, certainly not amongst my friends and colleagues (although I am sure there is a hidden hierarchy amongst these schools unbeknown to me....). It doesn't have such splendid buildings as Chelt College, but is in a nice leafy area and Cheltenham itself is a lovely town. We have just had the Literature Festival on and the town is buzzing with excitement!!!
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi,

My cousin lives on the other side of Dean's Close, when we've visited and I've asked her about it she says that it is a good school, however that Pate's is a better school and those that didn't get into Pate's tend to go there.

HTH
fairweathergardener

Dean Close opinion

Post by fairweathergardener »

Hi
I may be able to help with some of your questions

Dean Close pastoral care is pretty good and my son is at the top of the non-scholarship students. For the very bright (those who would have passed for Pates if their parents wanted state education - the package is very different) in year 8 they get moved to a scholarship class (about 10/12 children). The rest are then streamed generally from their overall results in year 7 exams.

In the prep school (up to end of year eight) they focus on independence, they move the children around set wise very regularly so no-one gets too comfortable if they don't deserve a place in that set. It's about 75% non-boarder in the Prep school, but higher than that once you go up to the senior in year 9. The communication between the parents and school is good, with regular reports and feedback.

Very musical and they offer some wonderful opportunities (CC couldn't offer my friend's child a place in the orchestra for his double bass but DC could and there are often opportunities to try out new instruments regularly. Great choir who have lots of fun.

Edited to update info.
Last edited by fairweathergardener on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now