Paper Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hewlett

Paper Scores

Post by Hewlett »

Can anyone please answer the folowing questions;
firstly when scores are qouted for example 119:119:117 in which order of the papers does this refer to NVR:VR:Maths? Secondly do TW schools require the above min for each paper or is an aggregate score of 355 and above of any variable accepted.
:? :? Thanks
WorriedMan

Post by WorriedMan »

I believe in Kent overall last year the requirement was for a minimum score of 119 in any two of the papers and 117 in the third, there's not a lower pass mark for any particular paper nor can outstanding results in two papers reduce the required mark for the third (although you would have a strong case in an appeal).
Theses figures may be slightly different this year, although standardisation should mean they stay the same.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

We were told at our primary in Tunbridge Wells, that the required minimum was 119. I automatically assumed this was per paper.
emalrola

No-one can say what the min score is

Post by emalrola »

Please, please don't get hung up on the scores. They are all standardised so cannot be related to the actual marks. Two of my children have done the exam in previous years and got at least 10 wrong from what they've said and still ended up with full marks in that paper. Try googling standardised scores if you want to find out how it really works, but no-one, absolutely no-one can currently say what you will have to actually have to score in order to get 140 (or 117)
guest43

Post by guest43 »

hi

I am now completely bewildered re: scores. My child must achieve in the region of 420 down to 400 to obtain place at TOGS compared with previous years out of area scores. Can anyone help me understand what percentage/marks my child should be on target for to be in with a chance? We would also consider TWGS if we moved, if so, how much lower a score would you need, please??????
guestkent

Post by guestkent »

If you go to the link Kent Scores you will see a posting about Percentages/points.

It gives the information which was supplied by The Judd which is probably as selective as TOGS, and they required just less than 80% as a raw score.
Hewlett

Post by Hewlett »

thanks for all of the post on this subject, seems we all are reliant on 2nd hand info which we hope in the course of time will prove to be accurate. Why is that kcc appear to want to keep this info from us & do not realese guidence such as the great presentation supplied by buckscc, see link , this doc leaves you in no doubt as to what is required or how the systems works. Maybe they want to keep us in a sleepless state until march 2nd :!: [http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... n_2007.pdf]
Rebecca

Paper scores

Post by Rebecca »

The selection procedure is different at TOGS (also Judd and Skinners) to TWGS, because TWGS is a community school. At TWGS, (and the Weald and Tunbridge Wells Boys' Grammar), you just have to get a high enough mark to pass, and live close enough to the school. Because TOGS is part of a private foundation it has more control over selection and uses ranked scores. Although it has traditionally been hard to get in at 11+, the scores for out of area candidates to get in have fallen in recent years. I was told that last year, for the first time, everyone from out of area who passed the test did eventually get a place. I don't know for sure if that's true, but it's certainly the case that the Weald of Kent has had a lot of money spent on it, and more local girls have started putting it first. Hence TOGS has more places. Don't let this put you off though, my daughter is ecstatically happy there and getting a great education.
If you want any more information, get in touch with the LEA admissions people at Maidstone and get them to send you the admissions brochure, which gives each school's criteria for entry.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now