Didn't get Grammar place but message confused me!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
femstermum

Didn't get Grammar place but message confused me!

Post by femstermum »

We are currently living outside the UK, but relocating to Kent early next year, we came home for our eldest to sit Kent Test, we got email today saying quote "Please be advised that ***** has been assessed as suitable for admission to a high school. This means that a place cannot be offered at a Kent Grammar school etc.."
I understand that he will not go to a grammar, but what is a High School? Any other secondary, non selective school? I can't get on Kent council website, but admissions booklet I was send does't mention High Schools.....Am I being thick or has the sun addled my brain? :?
indepteach

Re: Didn't get Grammar place but message confused me!

Post by indepteach »

A High School is a non Grammar Secondary School in a selective area. i.e. for those who did not pass the test or chose not to take it.
femstermum wrote: I understand that he will not go to a grammar, but what is a High School? Any other secondary, non selective school? I can't get on Kent council website, but admissions booklet I was send does't mention High Schools.....Am I being thick or has the sun addled my brain? :?
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

Yes it means that your DC is suitable for the local High schools or comps near your area. Sorry you didn't get the result you wanted.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Sorry to hear your news. It means that your son can go to any other school other than a grammar school assuming that he is ranked sufficiently highly according to the admissions criteria of the schools you apply to ( distance etc).
You can still appeal for a grammar school place though - look at the Appeals section on this forum and you will find lots of helpful advice.
femstermum

Post by femstermum »

Thank you all for your replies. It just seemed a strange way of putting it, as everyone who would have received the email was waiting to find out if they would be offered a Grammar school place, so why not just say your child can/cannot be offered a place at a grammar school. It makes me laugh, you find out you haven't got a chance at a grammar school, but you discover your child has been assessed suitable for a high school, which I now discover is all other non selective school in the county, should I pleased he was assessed as suitable for all of those rather than reading he was assessed UNsuitable for them....! is there all class of schools for those children? Or is that called Borstall? You can't let it get you down, life is too short and whist we are disappointed, it's not the end of the world. Incidentally do you get actual scores of the tests, remembering we are not from a Kent primary. Thanks again.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

The kent primaries get sent the scores. Not sure what happens if out of county or out of country. However I have been told you can get the score if you ring or email the admissions department tomorrow too.
femstermum

Post by femstermum »

Twinkle, thanks for that info, will contact them. You are a star!
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

femstermum wrote:Thank you all for your replies. It just seemed a strange way of putting it, as everyone who would have received the email was waiting to find out if they would be offered a Grammar school place, so why not just say your child can/cannot be offered a place at a grammar school. It makes me laugh, you find out you haven't got a chance at a grammar school, but you discover your child has been assessed suitable for a high school, which I now discover is all other non selective school in the county, should I pleased he was assessed as suitable for all of those rather than reading he was assessed UNsuitable for them....! is there all class of schools for those children? Or is that called Borstall? You can't let it get you down, life is too short and whist we are disappointed, it's not the end of the world. Incidentally do you get actual scores of the tests, remembering we are not from a Kent primary. Thanks again.
This post has made me laugh out loud.
You are so right though, life is to short, and I am proud of my girl for trying her best
Thirdtimer

Post by Thirdtimer »

Yet where we live now in Gloucestershire (we used to be Kent, hence reading on here), our local girls Grammar is called Stroud High School!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It can be confusing. There are other areas too where a 'High School' is a grammar school (e.g. Beaconsfield High).

In some parts of the country there are comprehensives in previously selective areas that retained the word 'grammar' in their name (e.g. Harrogate Grammar).

`When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

:lol:
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now