Best Choice for Aspergers Child - TWGSB or Bennett?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

strobeme

Best Choice for Aspergers Child - TWGSB or Bennett?

Post by strobeme »

We were delighted to hear that our son passed the kent exam today, but now face a dilemna about which school to have as our first preference.

Nothing is guaranteed (of course) but we assume we are strong candidates for both the schools we like. TWGSB (2 miles away) , Bennett ( High Category B and 2 miles away).

Our son has Aspergers Syndrome, so our primary concern for his future is whether he would be able to cope with the social environment in the Grammar School, or whether Bennett's reputation for pastoral care would be better for him.

Any advice would be very welcome,, especially from anybody who may already have an autistic child at TWGSB.
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

Hi - as a mother of an autistic child myself (low functioning autism) and a grammar teacher I can say that grammar schools are quite well up now on Aspergers. We have a number of pupils with Aspergers at our school. Good luck with your choice.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Can i PM you?
strobeme

Post by strobeme »

sorry tonbridgemum , I'm new to this forum, what does "can I PM you" mean?
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

send you a private message :D
strobeme

Post by strobeme »

Yes, of course
chad

Post by chad »

Can't help with those particular schools but, with a son who has Aspergers at Grammar school, can say with certainty that the routine and expectations of the grammar school has been of benefit to him and I do not think he would have coped as well in a different environment.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

A friend of mine has a son with mild autism. She visited a local comp on open days because they have an autism unit. The Head of the Autism unit actually advised her that the best place for a child with mild autism or aspergers was the local grammar school - and to do whatever she could to get him in there as he would benefit greatly. My son's grammar school is so big on ensuring the right support is in place for each and every one of their students - no matter the reason for needing it.
However, is it Bennett Memorial you are talking about? I do know that their pastoral support is superb through my own work dealings.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I am a parent at both schools, although my son has only just started at Bennett. I would say the pastoral care is equally good at both schools. I am particularly involved with TWGSB and have been very impressed with the way the school is led. There was/is a forum member called 'Cindy' who you may be able to search her past posts as her son was diagnosed upon entry at TWGSB. They do seem to be very good at this and she was posting very positive comments about his pastoral care there.

I would really suggest that you contact both schools. They will understand your needs and should offer for you to come in and have a one-to-one appointment. I think that would be more helpful than rumours and what you gain from an open evening.

Good luck!
shuff

Post by shuff »

I know someone with a daughter with aspergers who started Bennett in year 7. They found that the support just wasn't there and pulled her out. She is now being home tutored and thriving. Obviously not an option for you but I know Bennett wasn't right for her.