Entrance exams if they fail this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
talktalk

Entrance exams if they fail this year

Post by talktalk »

Hi am new to this site so treat me kindly. I live in the Maidstone area and my dd failed his exam by 5 marks on the maths. Does anyone know if the grammer schools here sit entrance exams in years 8 9 etc or is there still a thing called the 12+ or 13+ cant seem to find any information about this anywhere. Your help would be much appreciated. thank you :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You could approach the individual schools for next year.

I know that the Harvey Grammar in Folkestone had a test for pupils joining in year 8 , so it might be worth enquiring
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

I know of a girl who took the 12+ and moved to MGGS in year eight. I think she is now in year ten and doing very well.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I`ve heard about the 12+ too,
We`ve decided to go for the best "High school" now and retry then...
He Says She Says

Casual Admissions (year 8 entry)

Post by He Says She Says »

I have 2 daughters who both marginally failed the 11+. We unsuccessfully appealed for a place for our eldest daughter. In year 8 she took a test set by the local grammar school and passed well and was offered a place. She is now in year 12 at that grammar school, taking 5 A levels and doing very well. We didn't bother to appeal for a place for our second daughter as the whole process had been very stressful on us and her. So we did the same again. She took the grammar schools test and was admitted in year 8. Now doing GCSE's and doing amazingly well, pretty much straight A's. Neither of my girls were/are in bottom sets, they have both performed averagely at the grammar school and I believe you know your child best. My older daughter needs to feel the 'pressure' otherwise she will sit back and take it easy....I don't believe she would have recieved that 'pressure' at the local high school and who knows where she'd be now. If you know grammar is right for your child, don't give up. We were so relieved to discover yesterday that our son has passed and hopefully this time round will be easier for us all.....but if he hadn't passed, I would have waited a year and then applied directly to the school. Good luck!
hamster

Post by hamster »

There is another chance at 16 too when quite a few children move from Comp to Grammar.
Smurf

entrance post yr 8

Post by Smurf »

just to let you know that DS1 went to a secondary school as in spite of being very acedemic he refused to take 11+. Two years on and with DS2 wanting desperately to take 11+ and other issues, I decided to ring up grammars to ask about late entry. They couldn't be more helpful although one of the grammars wanted inside leg measurements, a letter from current school etc assuring me he hadn't been a bad boy, whilst the other grammar wanted no info apart from personal details and were willing to keep my intentions confidential from current school. I was asked to bring him to the school one day in July to sit a 13+ exam, same format, NVR, VR and Maths. There were other boys there that day of differing ages and one boy had told DS that he had applied the previous year too. Received letter from school inviting us to attend an interview and a place was duly offered and he joined at the beginning of Yr 9. Note, if they don't have places then obviously they can't make offers but listening to discussions whilst I was there, I picked up that they had spaces cos a couple of boys had left to join Cranbrook Grammar at 13+ so maybe similar happens at girls grammars. DS2 passed last year to my utter joy and has joined his BB this Sept but had already decided that I would apply again if he hadn't done so well. I also know of a friend whose DD sat an entrance exam for MGGS and Girls grammars in Tonbridge/TWells. I would ring them up, get advice about when they have these exams and when the time comes give it a go. Best of luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now