Appealing up? Changing preference?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Confused mum

Appealing up? Changing preference?

Post by Confused mum »

Got into St Olave's - we think -but have messed up our preferences. as we put it third. (Don't ask why!)
We don't think we'll have got into Judd our first choice as one paper was mucked up- but may have done enough to have got Skinners. We'd definitely prefer St Olave's to Skinners now- help! Sorry, I know this is a nice problem to have compared to some but it's still a problem- do we need to wait till appeal or can we change our preference now with the local authority? Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
Darren

Post by Darren »

I'm not in Kent area but I would think you would have to appeal. This happened to my wifes friend who decided she didn't want a particular Grammar school wanted another on third choice.

I doubt you can swap and change preferences now.

It's a nice appeal to have by the way as they both look decent schools (from the websites)

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, distance, recommendations etc etc.

How do you know for sure you ain't got in Judd ??

Darren,
confused mum

Post by confused mum »

Thanks for this.

I don't know he hasn't got into Judd. He did very well in the practice papers we did, but somehow got completely thrown when the NVR was a different format, and guessed on 16 questions. The standard is high, so I'm very doubtful he will pick up enough extra marks from the other papers to make it to the pass mark.

How did your wife's friend do on appeal. Did she get her choice?

Sue
Darren

Post by Darren »

Yes she went to appeal basically admitting a oversight on the preferences.

It wasn't a mistake (she was just hedging her bets) and in hindsight she should not have put it down as third choice.

School wasn't oversubscribed so she was succesful,

May be a different story at St Olave's

Obviously I would contact the LEA now and mention this incase they do amend your preference before Schools are allocated. But I doubt it.

I wish you luck.

Darren,