help needed for one maths problem sum

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum's question

help needed for one maths problem sum

Post by mum's question »

This is a question from NFER Familiarisation Test 11B, the answer given is 28m. I think the answer should be 27.5m. Am I wrong and missing out something?

Dr Shah's car is 4m long. This is the average length of all 5 cars in the surgery. Aparking bay has to be marked along the roadside. Allowing an extra 1.5m per car for driving into the space, roughly how long does the new bay have to be for all the cars to be parked?

Re: help needed for one maths problem sum

Post by Guest »

when they ask roughly i think they mean nearest rounded number. according to my calculation answer to this question is 27.5m but if you have to round it it gives you 28.i might be wrong so will keep an eye for next reponse.thanx
mum's question wrote:This is a question from NFER Familiarisation Test 11B, the answer given is 28m. I think the answer should be 27.5m. Am I wrong and missing out something?

Dr Shah's car is 4m long. This is the average length of all 5 cars in the surgery. Aparking bay has to be marked along the roadside. Allowing an extra 1.5m per car for driving into the space, roughly how long does the new bay have to be for all the cars to be parked?

Post by Guest »

Hi
Funnily enough my daughter's tutor went through this question last night and her emphasis was on the ROUGHLY as opposed to the exact length. Apparently it's to get the children to read the question.... also there isn't a 27.5 on the answer sheet!
mum's question

Post by mum's question »

thanks,
since my daughter was doing the standard version of this paper, she didn't have the multiple choice answers, and she had to work out the problem. That's why it was more confusing as the answer came out as 27.5m, and we didn't realise that we have to round it off to the next whole number to give the answer for "roughly".............
For multiple choice it might be OK but for standard type I find it quite weird.

question number...?

Post by Guest »

could you tell us which question no. is it from 11b test papers?
mum's question wrote:thanks,
since my daughter was doing the standard version of this paper, she didn't have the multiple choice answers, and she had to work out the problem. That's why it was more confusing as the answer came out as 27.5m, and we didn't realise that we have to round it off to the next whole number to give the answer for "roughly".............
For multiple choice it might be OK but for standard type I find it quite weird.
mum's question

Post by mum's question »

Question no. 29 in Familiarization Test 11B..............
jah

Post by jah »

At first glance, this looks like a version of the old fence posts and panels questions. There are 5 cars but only 4 gaps so answer would be 26m. However, it does say that you should allow 1.5m gap per car, and that does imply a length of 27.5m. I would have expected them to say allow 1.5m between cars.

So it is just an exercise in rounding: the child has to remember whether to round up or down.

Post by Guest »

Previous guest here.

Sorry, it never crossed my mind that you wouldn't be using multiple choice, I assumed (wrongly) that everyone used that version. :oops: