Which exam typically kept scores down: Maths, VR, NVR ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

Which exam typically kept scores down: Maths, VR, NVR ?

Post by Villagedad »

Hi there

Am trying to get a sense of which of the 3 exams in the Kent test this year (Maths, VR, or NVR) typically kept people's overal scores down or indeed led to some DC not passing despite getting high scores elsewhere.

Look forward to hearing and gaining a consensus, which may help those DC who will be sitting next year's exams in Kent.

Many thanks
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

For us it was Maths. However, I'm not happy with the level of teaching my daughter received in year 5, so that may have had some effect.
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

From what I could gather based on what I read and hearsay, it was Maths and NVR that had low scores.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

It does usually seem to be maths if this website is anything to go by.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Certainly all the children I spoke to ( including my own) thought that the Maths paper was ok compared to the VR and NVR papers ( very hard). However as far as I know now the results are through children seem to have fared worse in the maths than the VR and NVR. This may not be a reflection on the maths paper being hard, rather that in order to score highly you may have to had to get a higher percentage on this paper than on the VR and the NVR, because all the children did reasonably well on the maths paper. Does that make sense?? Quite hard to explain. In other words the easier the paper, the higher the bar. If we can get some raw scores posted against actual scores that would be very interesting particularly the raw score required to get 120.
orangebear4

Post by orangebear4 »

As a parent of four children, all of whom have taken and passed the 11 plus in previous years, I think it's safe to say it has always been the Maths scores that are lower than the other two. Last year, however, there was a big problem county wide with the NVR, which was put down to the fact that it was the first year that the tests were brought forward, and the children weren't ready for NVR. It is the same in the Medway tests, that the Maths often lets the children down, as they don't do NVR in Medway.
SSM

Post by SSM »

The scores are standardised, so there will be the same percentage of children scoring 140 in maths as there will be in NVR or VR.
loubielou

Post by loubielou »

for my son it was NVR - but he did SO badly the HT is questioning the marking rather than his answers
tired_dad_2008

Post by tired_dad_2008 »

loubielou wrote:for my son it was NVR - but he did SO badly the HT is questioning the marking rather than his answers
You may know this, but you can go in to County Hall in Maidstone and check the actual papers. You need to make an appointment through the Kent education department.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

SSM - that was so succinct! It was what I was trying to say in the most round about way!!!! :roll: