My advice!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hamster

My advice!

Post by hamster »

Having experienced the process this year, my advice is:
1. apply online as it has been absolute agony for those parents who applied by post waiting for the results when everyone else had theirs the day before
2. if maths is a weak point, get some extra maths lessons sorted out as this seems to be the area that has let some bright pupils down this year
3. don't pin all your hopes on the super selectives unless your child is extraordinarily clever. I don't think it is easy to get those marks between 410-420!
4. have a back up plan in case your child isn't assessed suitable for grammar and see the back up in a positive light so that it isn't devastating if your child doesn't receive the marks you wanted.
5. Don't mention the word "11+" if at all possible and stay relaxed about the process so that the stress doesn't transfer to your children. We had some very bright children in the class that almost couldn't do the exam as they had been so psyched up with good luck cards, mascots etc. Just treat exam day as a normal day at school!
Good luck!
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Interesting :) I like Number 4 especially

A quick question, can out of county parents (like we are in the kent bromely border) apply online too ?
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Good tips, Hamster, especially no 5, keeping things low key.

DD1, now year 10 at Grammar, had no tuition and got very high pass mark, but we had tried to be laid back by saying to her that doing the 11+ was just a way to help us parents decide what school would be best for her at secondary stage. (The day she did 11+ I actually forgot to wish her good luck because I had 3 month old son at time, who'd screamed for 5 hours the night before. I only got only 4 minutes sleep between 7.26am and the alarm going off at 7.30, and could barely stagger to school and back before collapsing with exhaustion. Needless to say, husband was completely comatose all night!)

Other parents I know kept going on and on at their children (and to other parents!) how bright they were and about the childs 'right' to go to Grammar. Unfortunately those children were 'bright' within the family only, but not compared to the whole cohort. Therefore many tears in the March, in the old days, when you only knew if your child had passed by what school they'd been allocated. Sadly, many parents still compare their children to others at their school only, and forget that the top 25% of able children are taken from the whole cohort within the county.

DD2, now yr 8, at other end of academic scale with learning and vision problems who couldn't even spell eleven , let alone take 11+!
hamster

Post by hamster »

inkypinkyponky wrote: Sadly, many parents still compare their children to others at their school only,
A very important point.

Someone told me a funny story this morning about their daughter who was the top of her class at primary school, got full marks for the 11+, got all A*s at GCSE, As for A level and it wasn't until she got to Uni that she saw there were people cleverer than her and was totally shocked.

At my DD's school, they are a clever lot this year so that those in the middle maths sets have also passed the 11+.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Ang's mom wrote:Interesting :) I like Number 4 especially

A quick question, can out of county parents (like we are in the kent bromely border) apply online too ?
Yes you can but it wont open again until June/July I think.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I never did get my email :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now