st olaves - What's it really like?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
curiousmum

st olaves - What's it really like?

Post by curiousmum »

My son's got into St Olaves I think, but we never got the chance to visit.

The school office seem unhelpful and are certainly unwilling to let a prospective parent visit now.

Has anyone got any knowledge or experience of the school? Obviously I know it has good results but have heard it has some problems pastorally.

Would love to hear anything - good or bad. Thanks

Post by Guest »

I have heard about the pastoral side too, but I've also heard that it's something they have been aware of and, presumably, are keen to address. I've known former pupils (long time ago) who hated every minute, and others who enjoyed it.

But at the end of the day, it's one of the top grammars in the country, so I don't know how hard it feels it needs to try!

Would be interested to know your scores - my son got 144, so presumably would be on the list too.

I would have thought they could make some effort to let you see round informally.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for this.

He got 142. Do you know any other results?- maybe the scores have changed and are higher this year, because of the change of format?
Hopefully 142 is enough.

However we still have a problem as we didn't put St Olaves as top preference- as we didn't get to see it - which we may now wish to change!
Don't know if this is possible. Anyone know?
katel

Post by katel »

I know it's water under the bridge now for the OP, but for other readers of this forum,it it VITAL that you visit schools before you make your decision. We nearly didn't visit our local grammar school, assuming that it would be our first choice, and my dd hated it from first stepping in the door. We visited again - she was still adamant - we visited another grammar some distance away and she loved it. So we put that down, but not our local school. Just because a school has brilliant results doesn't mean it is a good school, or a happy school, or a place where you would happily leave a nervous 11 year old.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now