West Kent Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

committed

West Kent Schools

Post by committed »

Our Year 5 rep has organised an 11+ information evening so that people know what their options are and how the whole thing works. I’m trying to gather some stats about what the entry requirements were last year just to get a feel for what is needed. I’ve got so far by going back through a lot of posts from over the last few months, but I could do with some help filling in the blanks…

I was hoping that more knowledgeable souls out there may be able to help!! Also, if I’ve got stuff wrong I’d be really grateful for corrections. :D

West Kent Schools 2009 Entry

Judd: Intake of 125 boys. Judd cut off in 2008 started at 414 (not all boys on 414 were offered a place). It eventually went down to 412 (on distance)
Skinners: Intake of 115 boys. The starting point was some pupils with 406 (but not all) were offered a place. Skinners finished on ***
TWGSB: Usual intake of 180 boys. Distance related and went out to *** (they were forced to create another class and passed 32 appeals). Has a sibling policy.
TOGS: Intake of 140 girls. Tonbridge Grammar in county cut-off started at 407, Out-of-county started at 412. They both finished at ***
TWIGGS: Intake of 140 girls. Distance related and went out 1.8 miles in 2008. Has a sibling policy.
Weald: Usual intake of 150 girls. Banded. Initially offered to all Band A and half Band B, but ultimately offers were made to most of Band B (there was some comment that they passed 30 appeals and created a new class – but I’m not sure about this). Has a sibling policy.

I’m hoping that when it is complete, it will give a good picture of what the real options are for newbies like me and others who live in the Tonbridge / Tunbridge Wells / Sevenoaks areas.

Many thanks in advance!

R.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Hi - I suggest that ring each of the schools and ask them for the score cut offs for last year. I'm pretty sure they will let you have the information. Obviously the scores will fluctuate year on year so they can only be a guide.
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

TOGS 150 started in Sept 09 thus must have been at least 10 successful appeals

Weald 164 started Sept 09. 20 places turned down by those offered school in March and available to waiting list. As 16 over admission no of 150, at least 16 successful appeals. Source WOK's own website.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Slightly off topic, I was perusing the Medway Admissions Booklet last night. In it is a table listing the Secondary schools and giving for the last 2 years the catchment distances and/or qualifying scores. Unusual for a Council to have such an attack of commonsense.
mac

Post by mac »

I emailed Skinners today to ask the lowest score admitted last year. They replied that last year they did not admit any students with a score lower than 406. Of course this will vary from year to year....
SSM

Post by SSM »

I think Skinners ended up admitting over 121 or 122 boys after appeals. Not sure as I haven't checked but I do know there is either 31 or 32 boys in one form and presume there will be 30 in the other 3.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

SSM wrote:I think Skinners ended up admitting over 121 or 122 boys after appeals. Not sure as I haven't checked but I do know there is either 31 or 32 boys in one form and presume there will be 30 in the other 3.
We were told it was 4 classes of 32 last year when we went to the open evening. So the figure of 115 places available must be to allow some room for the appeals.
hamster

Post by hamster »

TWGGS told me when I asked recently that last year the catchment area was eventually 2 miles after appeals.

There are also 14 governors' places for girls who score highest in the exam, live in a wider defined area (don't have the book to hand but I believe it includes Edenbridge and Sevenoaks), and would not otherwise have got a place.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

SSM wrote:I think Skinners ended up admitting over 121 or 122 boys after appeals. Not sure as I haven't checked but I do know there is either 31 or 32 boys in one form and presume there will be 30 in the other 3.
There is 31 in my DS form.
committed

Post by committed »

Thanks ever so much for all the additional comments. :D

I rang KCC today as suggested and they confirmed that 406 was Skinners cut-off.

They also said that TWGSB went out 9.43 miles to Sevenoaks (but she was at pains to stress that this was after appeals and a new class was added and that it was not guaranteed to go this far in future).

She also said that TOGS stayed at 407 and that TWIGGS was 1.77miles and Weald was 8.84miles (but because of their banding that isn't in a straight line).

I think the comments about how many they take initially and the places they end up with all make sense in terms of appeals.

Thanks again for all the information.

All the best

C.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now