Standardized Score and Raw Score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
when the process will end

Standardized Score and Raw Score

Post by when the process will end »

I asked for the raw scores to appreciate the relationship between raw scores and standardized score.

This year the relationship seems to be the following.

45/50 in maths is equivalent to a standardized score of 130
70/75 in VR is equivalent to a standardized score of 130

Does anybody know the raw scores equivalent to a standardized score of 140 in Maths and VR??

It also seems that getting 140 in Kent is easier than getting 140 in Bexley.
truthandbeauty

Post by truthandbeauty »

I think that it was harder to get 140 in Bexley than Kent. Not sure whether that was because Kent was first and DS was deflated by Tuesday/Wednesday after a very exhausting Saturday at Dartford Grammar.
DS scored 140/140/139 (Maths) in Kent and 133 (maths)/123 in Bexley.

I have a suspicious feeling Bexley made the test harder to compensate for taking away 2 papers.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Oh dear - I really should resist the temptation to take part in discussions about standardisation as it hurts my head. BUT say two children both got raw scores of 45/50 for maths and one was say an October birthday and the other a June birthday, they wouldn't both get standardised scores of 130 would they?
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:Oh dear - I really should resist the temptation to take part in discussions about standardisation as it hurts my head.
We do definitely need a detailed thread/forum/QandA/sticky about standardisation dont we. Every thread in the Bexley and Kent fora seem to be getting hijacked by standardisation at the moment.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

DadofKent - and I thought I could sneak back to Bexley and get away with making comments about standardisation :lol:

But you're right, a separate thread would be an excellent idea.
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

My DS is March born. I therefore believe that he is in the middle of the spread from September to August.

Children born before March will presumably score lower than 130 but it will not be more than 2 marks. Similarly children born after March will score higher but it will not be more than 2 marks.

Therefore the spread of standardized score for the same raw score will presumably be between 128 to 132.

The above also depends on the subject. I believe that the spread is more marked in VR compared to Maths.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Yep, according to those raw scores the BT is getting harder and harder, in fact Bexley's grammar's are now harder to get into than the superselectives in Kent.

This will have a knock on effect as clearly intelligent kids denied a place in this borough, due to the very high demand, will try their luck across the border.

These Bexley kids would have been snapped up by the grammars years ago but are now beng deemed non-selective, not because they are not bright enough, but because the goal posts keep on moving.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Tracy wrote:Yep, according to those raw scores the BT is getting harder and harder, in fact Bexley's grammar's are now harder to get into than the superselectives in Kent.

This will have a knock on effect as clearly intelligent kids denied a place in this borough, due to the very high demand, will try their luck across the border.

These Bexley kids would have been snapped up by the grammars years ago but are now beng deemed non-selective, not because they are not bright enough, but because the goal posts keep on moving.
I hate disagreeing with people, especially lovely people like you Tracy, but there are still the same number of GS places in Bexley, so it can't be getting harder for the kids, unless there is an increase in the birth rates or for some reason there are more OoC children taking the test.

Also, my head is a bit fuzzy this week so I may have this totally wrong, if you require 45/50 in order to get a high standardised score of say 140, than that means that the paper is easier than one in which you only need to get say 30/50 to get the same standardised score.

I think it is on the Kent forum that someone has posted the picture of the bell diagram.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

SSM - the number of selective places in Bexley has decreased in recent years. 30 places were lost a couple of years ago when Bexley Grammar reduced its intake by one form; 60 places were lost this year when Erith gave up its bilateral status. Both reductions have 'coincided' with a slight increase in the pass mark.

I have no concrete evidence but I would be surprised if there had not also been an increase in the number of non-Bexley children taking the test in recent years. I think of the 5,000 or so who took it this year only 3,000 will have gone to Bexley primaries. Certainly at our primary 7 or 8 years ago we would get up to 20 passes; in recent years it's been anything from 1 to 6.

Of those children who scored the top 180 scores last year, 103 did not attend a Bexley primary. I don't know what it's been in previous years but this suggests that large numbers of non-Bexley parents with very able children are putting them in for the tests in the hope of securing a place which doesn't depend on distance.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

ssm, how nice :D

bm2, remember that most catholic primaries don't support the 11+ so the majority of these children will not be included in bexley's figures.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now