Dartford Girls Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lass

Dartford Girls Grammar

Post by Lass »

My daughter attends a primary school that was previously one of their "feeder" schools. However this system has now been changed and it goes on the parish the child lives in.

We filled in a form at the school on our tour on Tuesday evening. We ticked the parish that we thought we came under. However, today we got a telephone call from the school to tell us that we dont actually come under that parish, that the village we live in is a parish in its own right and therefore our child is out of the catchment area :( .

This means that if all the places are filled by girls in the listed parishes, our daughter wont get a place. Even though she actually lives closer to the school than most of the parishes listed.

My daughter passed 11+ with a combined score of 410. She loved Dartford and we felt really optimistic about her chances of a place there. Now it looks much less certain.

Our other choices are Wilmington and Newstead Wood - my daughter has agreed to sit the Newstead Wood test but neither of us got a very favourable impression of the school when we toured. Wilmington we liked, but not as much as Dartford. Bradbourne was going to be our 4th choice because it would be preferable to having to travel further away for a Grammar. However, I'm wondering now whether we should reconsider this.

I am feeling so disappointed right now. Yesterday I was told that with her scores she was likely to get the school she chose. Today the story is totally different.

Can anyone offer any advice? Do Dartford Grammar ever need to fill places outside of their catchment area? Should we still put Dartford as our number 1 choice?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

From where you say you live, with that score you should be perfectly ok with getting a place at Dartford. What's the distance to the school.?
Lass

Post by Lass »

We are 4.7 miles from Dartford, and 3.7 from Wilmington (by car, according to Google maps!).
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Well, the measurements are taken as the crow flies so it'll be a shorter distance than you have given.

According to the Head, Dartford will have approx 1/3 of places remaining after the Dartford parishes are catered for.

You will be in the next category down and the places will be awarded in order of the aggregate score, regardless of distance to the school. You will need to check how low the scores go down to normally but a score of 410 is superb so you should have a very good chance.
Lass

Post by Lass »

Thanks for the information Tracy. 1/3 of places left after the parishes are catered for sounds quite optimistic. I shall just have to cross everything and hope for the best.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

That 1/3 was exactly what the head told the adjudicator.