Barton Court.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Monicas Mum

Barton Court.

Post by Monicas Mum »

Hi
We went to the open evening tonight at Barton Court, wondering if anyone else was there and if so what you thought.

We found the school welcoming, bright, airy with lovely buildings and great resources. However, I am not sure it felt right for my DD. I cannot explain why just a gut instinct. She wants to put it 2nd choice after Langton girls, my worry is if we don't get Langton and she gets offered BC will I be happy for her to go there.

As I said there was nothing I can put my finger on, everything about the school looked really great I just couldnt picture my DD there which I could at Langton.

Help please!
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

Didn't like BC either ( i went there actually and hated it) it wasn't at all right for my son.
We were kind of 'blank' after looking round, nothing to say either way.
It all depends on how close you are to Langton.
There are around 15-20% less yr 6 this year compared to last year so the catchment should spread a little further.
I'm not sure if you are able to ask school or LEA how far they expect it reach this year.
Have you looked at Clarendon House, or Dane court also QE.
katel

Post by katel »

My dd has friends who are very happy at Barton Court - they particularly like the early finishing time!

If I remember correctly from an earlier post, you live quite close to Langton - are you worried that you aren't in the catchment?

What would you put as second choice if not Barton Court?
Monicas Mum

Post by Monicas Mum »

Thanks for your replies.

We live just outside Faversham so should get into langton but as we all know stranger things have happened. We have yet to look at QE, the open evening is not until the week after half term.

Kate - Do you know anything about the new build at Langton? I loved the character and feel of the school as it is and know that the buildings can completely change the feel. Some people say that it is planned within 2 years others have said nothing has been agreed. Wondering if you have been informed as a current parent.

Thanks x
dikili

Post by dikili »

We were there and I liked it. I think the ethos is unique 3 100 min lessons with no time wasted on registration and changing classes, a short lunch break and a 2.40 finish with enrichement opportunities after. The CSI club looked fascinating as did several others. I also like the IB exam instead of A level.

It felt less like a traditional school and more like a uni type community and the pupils I know who go there seem to back this up and it is often described as villagely. I think it will be second choice based on peer choice but I would be very happy for my child to go there.

I got the overall impression that social skills the children would develop would stand them in as good stead as the academic ones once let loose in the wider world. I think it could suit children who need less structure and therefore could be more suited to girls than boys. One worry is the headmaster is retiring and the replacement is currently not known.
jingle

Post by jingle »

I was there last night and my daughter also is in year 9. For her this school has been outstanding, but not so sure it is right for my son. Very happy, sociable place with great student support. Think that the presentation did not really do it justice. Agree that although undoubtedly a very nurturing enviroment which has been great for my concientious daughter (grown in confidence and is progressing very well academically,) that I have my doubts that my lazier son would do as well as he could. Depends what you want most from a school I suppose. We also love the IB curriculum
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

It does seem many of DS friends didn't like Barton Court but the girls did.!! This also seems the case with the langtons this year. !!!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Do you mean the girls liked Langton Girls but the boys didn't like the boys school?
ps Blakesmum I have tried to pick your brains on another thread about Chatham House. Hope this is ok. Can't remember what thread it was though Durghhh!
Blakesmum

Post by Blakesmum »

Hi yes girls liked langton but boys didn't!! Strange, they can ride on their rep though i suppose.

I have replied to your post, on 'viewing schools'
jingle

Post by jingle »

Thanks, have caught up with you now x