Headteacher appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jingle

Headteacher appeals

Post by jingle »

I keep reading lots of posts about Head teacher appeals and wondered exactly what the process consists of. Do schools choose which children to appeal for? Or is it an automatic thing for those just short? What does the Head actually do i.e do they write in support or just provide books and levels etc. It seems quite a mysterious process to me and a bit of a lottery for some with some surprising outcomes both ways. Does your area and amount of already 'qualified' pupils from your school make a difference? I feel very sad for some of these posters who seem to have had what appear to be quite harsh decisions. Plus I know of a child with very high vr and non vr scores who was three marks short on maths and whose HT appeal was rejected on the basis of the essay (this is in Kent) Surely this childs maths would have been the subject they needed to scrutinize as she had already shown her ability in the other areas?
Just trying to understand it all. Any enlightenment very welcome.
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

Hi - I've said elsewhere that this process does seem to be rather inconsistent. I can let you know what happened to us, as our HT explained it all on Tuesday.

My daughter got 140 VR, 132 NVR and 116 Maths. The HT said that she looked at all the results, and picked out those that she thought were worth appealing for, then she checked that the year teacher agreed.

They had a form which they had to fill out, including their reasons for the appeal, plus supporting evidence. In our case, she said that my daughter's work showed her ability, plus she had shown rapid progress recently. They sent off her work so far this year, along with a letter from her year teacher. They also supplied her recent SATs results. I don't think she mentioned the written piece of work.

The form came back with a comment saying something along the lines that the panel agreed, and that she was suitable for a grammar place.
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

my daughter was similar in that she missed by 1 point on the maths & over on the others, I have now seen the HT review forms and they didnt allow her though because of her English paper on the day!
As you say, the issue that was under question was her maths - NOT her literacy so it seems madness that she was denied automatic entry on the thing she had passed on.
Madness I tells ya
jingle

Post by jingle »

Thanks for the reply, and well done to your daughter for doing so well. Sounds like your Head was on the ball and your daughter got the selective result she deserved. As you say though, in general the process seems inconsistant. Am wondering if they allow a certain number per school and how much they go by the HT input rather than sats/work examples alone?. Some HTs do seem to be more supportive and 'pro active' regarding these appeals than others and I wondered how much of a difference this made to the eventual decision!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Sorry Ogremum, was writing as you posted. Yes ,Yours is exactly the type of situation I was referring to. I really sympathize and can see why you feel hard done by. Some strange decisions in our area also. There must be a better way!!!!
ps will you be appealling in march?
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

definetely (omg I can't spell that!) appealing - we are going for FSFG (Folkestone) as it's our nearest (actually I think Ashford - Highworth is but I work in Folk & family are there AND I went there LOL)

DD is the right girl for the school, we just have to tell them that :wink:
observer

Post by observer »

Hi Ogremum,
I would feel quite confident about your appeal to Folkestone with your daughter's scores. Sorry she didn't get through on HT appeal and that you have to go through the hassle of appeals. I have heard good things about Folkestone appeals though...best of luck with it all,
Observer
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

thank you observer. my dd's head is pretty confident - dd works to lowe level 5's at mo in lit & reading comp, 4a into a 5 in maths so she is where she should be to fit in.
She was saying that its all madness, some kids who werent expected to pass, who are in lower bandin for maths and or lit are going automatically, 2 of the girls are 3a for literacy! but they pulled it out of the bag!

Admissions dept were lovely, i wanted her raw score, and they told me how low automatic admission always is in FSFG.

ta x
jingle

Post by jingle »

Would like to add my support to you Ogremum. Glad your head is confident. Having good support from the school can make a huge positive difference to the strength of your appeal. I know from experience that this is a stressful, time consuming road, but If you are confident it is right for your daughter then it is the right option.

Best of luck with it all x
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now