One Year to go,...and counting!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

One Year to go,...and counting!

Post by pheasantchick »

One to go and counting! No doubt the year will go quickly, and this time next year, I'll be relieved or disappointed at the results.

To all those Year 6 parents, please don't leave us now you have the results - we need you help and advice for the year ahead! I hope the school applications procedure goes well for you all.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

I have another one next year as well pheasantchick....and one that's in year 2 currently......but no doubt over the years the entire process will change and be different each and every year - so I'll be around for a while! I only came across this site yesterday while searching for '11+ appeals' just in case his results were not as we wanted.
1sttimer

One through, two more to go

Post by 1sttimer »

My DD has just passed with a score of 411 with no tutoring. I'm the same with another one taking it next year and one in Year 2 so will also be around for a while. At least home tutoring DD2 this year I know that we're doing the right thing, whereas this year it was a quagmire and just kept our fingers crossed hoping for the best. Well done to everyone who has passed but its not the bee all and end all. Without the help from this site and one other (don't know if I can name it) we wouldn't have made it through. Good luck with the next year.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Ang's mom

Post by Ang's mom »

Count me in the " One Year To Go" list too ...:) and I am already panicking
stayincalm

Post by stayincalm »

Count me in too - just getting into researching it all. Quite overwhelming, just got the test papers from amazon to get an idea of what is involved and it looks hard!
maidmum5

Post by maidmum5 »

Can I please join in too! Just come home from parents night and the teacher has suggested that "we give it a go"! my DS has just gone into year 5 so I suppose the build up starts now. I think we will get some practice papers and make a very gentle start - can anyone suggest some basic starter practice papers?

They have taken some early scores which look OK but its looking like we need to pay special attention to the NVR, it surprised me to hear that this is not taught at school, so that will be down to us then - thats if we can get our heads around it of course!!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

maidmum5 wrote:Can I please join in too! Just come home from parents night and the teacher has suggested that "we give it a go"! my DS has just gone into year 5 so I suppose the build up starts now. I think we will get some practice papers and make a very gentle start - can anyone suggest some basic starter practice papers?

They have taken some early scores which look OK but its looking like we need to pay special attention to the NVR, it surprised me to hear that this is not taught at school, so that will be down to us then - thats if we can get our heads around it of course!!
Cannot really beat the Bond assessment books for the early preparation, even for VR, although ultimately Bond VR is not particularly representative of the content of the Kent papers. Try the level 3 books for starters and see how it goes.
stayincalm

Post by stayincalm »

Anyone know if all the maths is covered in the year 5 curriculum. My initial feeling after looking at bond books and nfer test papers is:

NVR - dd can give it a good go
VR -easy to make mistakes by not knowing meaning of vocab or just getting distracted by the not quite right answers that they put in
Maths -some stuff dd has no idea about e.g. algebra :? :?
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

The maths is not covered in Year 5 & some of it not even in year 6 as I think algebra is covered in secondary school. The algebra is simple though - of the 'logic' type rather than knowing the rules of algebra.

See http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/e ... IG1713.pdf from page 69 I think for year 5 & 6 more challenging papers. Doing these types of puzzles should help with the problem solving questions that come up in the paper.
Also the old papers for the primary maths challenge here http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=251 The questions get steadily more difficult & the last 5 or so are a good level to work to.

With a lot of these its a matter of reading the question & practice definitely improves with these.
Dilemma

Post by Dilemma »

Hi All

Count us in the class of 2010 as well !!

Thanks very much to rosered100 for the links, they look like they are well worth working through, my printer is working overtime at the moment!!!! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now