Which SATs levels for which year

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

;kysiesmum

Which SATs levels for which year

Post by ;kysiesmum »

I have just taken my ds out of school because of a bullying problem and have decided to teach him at home.What worries me is that I am going to jeopardise his chances when it comes to secondary schools, he has already decided he wants grammar.
He is 6 and had just gone into yr2.His school did optional SATs each year and he scored
reading 3b
writing 2a
numeracy 3
science 2

My question is what level should he be at the end of year 2? as we are hoping that he will be back in mainstream education next year.
Also are there any sites which explain what children are expected to achieve at each level.I have workbooks and study guides which we follow but I don't know if I am teaching him the correct things or if what I am teaching will mean that he finds when he returns to school that he is behind everyone else as he learnt the wrong things.
katel

Post by katel »

Above average children get all 3s in year 2 - so he's well on track.

It's none of my business but I really don't think a 6 year old can possibly know that they want to go to grammar school. I would concentrate on him enjoying learning and getting over the bullying problem and forget all about the 11+ for a year or two if i were you
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Hi,

Those are really good levels for start of year 2. By the end of the year it is hoped most children would be a 2b.
See http://www.satsguide.co.uk/sats_resourc ... etable.htm
And here are some old sats papers to see the levels http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS1SAT.htm
but they wont be doing science sats any more.

The worksheets & 'learning objectives' for the years http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcs ... yframework This one takes hours to trawl through but should cover everything done at school.

And here are the maths papers that teachers give to students needing extra stretch http://downloads.nationalstrategies.co. ... 4cb085.pdf

If you need any other websites, let me know. I seem to have loads bookmarked but never get around to using most of them.

rosered
;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

I should have said that the reason he currently wants grammar is because his brother has just taken the 11+ I'm actually hoping he changes his mind I don't think I could cope with the stress again :) .
My concern is that when the time comes for him to decide any secondary school I would have let him down with what I have taught him.
At the moment I am letting him set the pace about what and when he learns but I would like to start introducing 'curriculum' based lessons soon which is why I am trying to find what he would be learning if he was still in school.
;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

Rosered
Thankyou for the links,I will have a trawl through them over the half term and hopefully will be able to come up with a few ideas.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Well done to you for saying 'no to bullying'. My three younger boys were bullied daily by a year 6 boy at their old primary school. The bullying came about by way of a year 6 boy who had an older brother who was a major behaviour issue at the local high school. My kids dad dared to be intolerant of the behaviour and gave the kid a detention. The bullying on my young children then started. It was 'allowed' to happen, as apparently this poor boy came from a bad background lbah blah blah.....and it was never stopped at the school. My kids came to hate school, they would feign being sick so they didn't have to go in etc. We moved, they got into a new school - and wow is life different! Turns out tht the kid who bullied them at the old school - his parents were friends of parents of another kid at the new school - and about a week after they started - the bullying started - same type of 'foreigner' comments etc. It was reported to the teacher, the teacher was going to meet with the HT. Before they met though - five parents had made reports to the school of this unacceptable behaviour that their children had come home and reported. It was nipped in the bud that very day - and has never been a problem since. (turned out that the kid had repeated what he had been told to by the other kids dad when he'd mentioned that kids from his kids school had just joined his school). The confidence that has come about is unbelievable - back to enjoying school, loving their friends, and life is good again.
If you don't really want to take your child out of the school - is there another local school that just simply doesn't tolerate the bullying? School can be such a wonderful fun place for kids - and the interaction is so important as well.
Best of luck in whatever you decide - your child's happiness and safety is the main thing :) and he's lucky to have a parent who cares enough to actually take some action over it.