11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chelmsford dad

can anyone advise on the relative difficulties of vr papers

Post by chelmsford dad »

in the past week on verbal reasoning papers my son has scored:

92% gl paper 11a
78% susan daughtrey p3
96% tutors p9

are the susan daughtrey ones harder? and which is closest to the real thing?

thanks if anyone can help :D
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Hi,
The tutors ones were good for practice but pretty quickly you can achieve near perfect scores so I would say they are a good deal easier than the Essex test but good for confidence. The GLA (formerly NFER) increase in difficulty so 11D is alledgedly harder but ultimately it depends on what your child finds the most time consuming questions.

The Susan Daughtrey ones are almost on a par with GLA, maybe a tad easier though.I wouldn't fret about the score difference though.I found that both of my DDs could score really highly on a paper with more of the types of questions they liked.

The real exam is set by GLA assessment formerly NFER.It is harder than anything in the shops.I say this because both of mine were getting high scores and having a good 10 mins + to check over at home in practice.On the real day they finished with far less time to spare.Many well rehearsed children do not finish at all.So keep on working on time, especially with the types he favours less.

Both of my two felt the real exam had far more of the code type questions and other more time consuming ones.
However it sounds like he is doing well.Good luck, keep going and not long until its all over. :D
moved

Post by moved »

Please also bear in mind that when he takes the real exam he will already have done two other really tough papers. If you can give him a couple of hellish Saturday mornings when he does three papers in a row. I wish I had done this with my daughter and now do this with my pupils. The Walsh papers are really hard (possibly more like the real thing), you are getting a bit close though for administering these. This week would be my limit as any later they can knock confidence.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

moving wrote:Please also bear in mind that when he takes the real exam he will already have done two other really tough papers. If you can give him a couple of hellish Saturday mornings when he does three papers in a row. I wish I had done this with my daughter and now do this with my pupils. The Walsh papers are really hard (possibly more like the real thing), you are getting a bit close though for administering these. This week would be my limit as any later they can knock confidence.
Moving, I am not disagreeing with you because you are far too nice for that :D However both of mine found the Walsh papers easier than the Susan Daughtrey. Not easy but easier.I do think it comes down to what questions they like or don't and as long as they are hitting the 90% + mark most of the time, it allows for the nerves factor.

Have you given up house searching ATM?
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks CM I think you are entirely correct about different papers suiting different children. The only thing about Walsh is I find some question types, like those of that other website, to be a different style from those that they are used to.

Have not given up, in fact we put leaflets through doors yesterday in the hope that someone who wants to sell a house will phone. We are selling this one anyway (all looking good at the moment) and will rent within walking distance of school (hopefully) while we continue to search if the leaflets fail. Not had much luck and not much on the market so far. I am hopeful that if we rent until the Spring there will be an abundance of property on the market and I will find a lovely house really quickly. :D