Travel from Ealing to Slough and Langley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sweetviolet

Travel from Ealing to Slough and Langley

Post by sweetviolet »

Hello All users, I am new and wondering if there are any fellow people who travel from the Ealing Borough to the Slough / Langley Grammars. If so, what mode of transport are you guys using? Which is best? As we have put these Grammars on the CAF form and DS has passed Slough, I am now panicking !!! Have the kids you have in these grammars settled in and how do they find the travel? We (partner and I) had many discussions over what to do when filling out the CAF form, from the local comp to grammars....we chose the grammars, but I am now wondering if the travel is going to be too much if DS gets in. Panicking in advance!! :(
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi Sweetviolet and congratulations. There are several posts from last year about this journey which you may be able to find. In short there appear to be two routes. If you live near the Broadway then train and then walk or bus OR if you are towards the Picadilly line then tube to Hounslow, short walk to the bus garage and then a bus. I have heard of a minibus from Greenford but have no details. Either way you are looking at a round trip of at least two hours but more likely three once you have factored in time spent walking to and from bus stops/train stations and then waiting time etc
mad?
sweetviolet

Post by sweetviolet »

Thank you Mad? Do you have kids there ..... I'm sure it can't be 3 hours to get there. Now I am really panicking..... :!:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi, no I don't have kids there...friends do...it's not three hours to get there - more like 1 - 1.5 thus making 2-3 hours round trip. You might find it useful to try it (at the relevant time of course) as this would give you a better idea.
mad?
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

sweetviolet

Post by sweetviolet »

We did a dry run - about 20 mins by car on the A40. I will have to work with him closer to the time to see how we go once via the train route.
sweetviolet

Post by sweetviolet »

Thanks partygirl - it does help. I will try some of the routes with him and then we will have a better idea. Thanks again.
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

My DD is in yr 7 at SGS. One of the other yr 7 pupils lives in Ealing. He gets the tube from South Ealing to Hounslow West then takes the 81 bus (which my daughter also catches) which goes past Langley and SG. My daughter has to catch another bus home from Hounslow West to Heston. DD normally gets home around 4.30. Taking into account that she takes an additional bus from HW, this should give you a fair indication of how much time you would need to add to the journey to Ealing.

I was initially very worried about how DD would cope with the journey as she had never taken public transport on her own prior to starting at Slough. I can tell you she has adjusted very easily. Several other Slough pupils catch the same bus at HW in the morning so she has made new friends on the bus

Hope this helps.
Plumbuddle

Travel between Ealing and Slough

Post by Plumbuddle »

We shall be driving our son (currently year 7) between Ealing and Slough next year. We are interested in car sharing next year and for the present we are also advertising for a trusted driver so that we personally don't have to do the trip every day. Do feel free to pm us when you know your result in March or, if we don't get your message via the site get in touch with the school and say you know there is definitely a boy in year 8 who is being driven from Ealing and you'd like to contact the parents.
The car trip is extremely easy down the M4. We leave Ealing at 7.30am and get there by 8am, home by any time between 8.30 and 9. 8 am is not too early for the kids as school proper starts at 8.35 and they can go to homework club meantime, taking the pressure off the evenings. We collect at 3.20 but could leave our son in the library till 5.20 if we wanted; the trip home is @ 20 mins.
sweetviolet

Post by sweetviolet »

Hi Plumbuddle, we too are thinking of looking into some sort of taxi service as we are concerned about how our son is going to cope with the train route. We have also applied for Langley so will need to see how the scores work out and also which school he gets offered in the end. I see you have messaged on here at various times. Did you get to join with the group in UB1 or was that too far?

I have driven down the A40 route and seems like a 20 min distance door to door which is good. :)

I haven't had many responses other than you and partygirl which makes me think either not many parents use this site, even though quite a few kids use the train/ bus route or that there are not many kids from W5 going to Slough?

Anyway I will need to get back to you closer to the time in March once we know where DS is going and how we are going to get there.

Sweetviolet