yet another music question

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

yet another music question

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

DC are going to sit some music exams at the end of this term and I was wondering why there is a delay in finding out if your child has passed/failed and by how much. I know they mark out of 150 (or is it 140?) but they fill in the marking sheet as the child plays so why isn't it given to their teacher at the end? No doubt there is an obvious answer but I'm unsure why it takes over 6 weeks to find out. :?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Mine have done a range of music exams and the longest I have waited is 3 weeks.It has often been a fortnight.
I presume the board has to somehow ratify them first.It is the same with dance and drama exams too.

Sure he will do brilliantly :wink:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Maybe the time scale is to do with the school holidays as they only find out when they go back. Not too sure about the brilliantly but thanks CM. :)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Maybe the time scale is to do with the school holidays as they only find out when they go back. Not too sure about the brilliantly but thanks CM. :)
Which holiday is that? Six weeks still seems very long!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Easter and Christmas is 4 weeks and they sit the exam anything up to two weeks before the end of term.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Easter and Christmas is 4 weeks and they sit the exam anything up to two weeks before the end of term.
There is a chance the results will be back then before they break up.
You could ring.The office staff will be there for a large part of the time if you really want to know.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

When ds did his piano exam in the summer we had to wait a few weeks for the results. I was told that this was so that the results could be moderated. Don't shoot the messenger.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote: Don't shoot the messenger.
:? :? :? ??
Milla

Post by Milla »

I don't get the moderation bit - the report you get looks very much as written then and there with no suggestion of later adjustment?? :?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Milla - my son's assessment was as written at the time, but that doesn't mean it wasn't moderated.

Moderating holds as much mystery for me as standardisation, but I assume it means that someone looks at a whole range of assessments and might ask some questions if one teacher hardly ever passed anyone and another passed virtually everyone. But I'm sure someone who knows something about music will be along shortly - Reginaphalangie?