GCSE Maths tutotr

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
overpeck

GCSE Maths tutotr

Post by overpeck »

Does anyone know a GCSE maths tutor Slough/Wraysbury/Staines area?

Thanks overpeck
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

There must be someone out there who can help me.... Looking at another thread there is a tutor fm from Birmingham if only you lived nearer! I have a GS girl who just needs more confidence in her abilities. I also believe that she is still on the shy side in class and would not feel confident to ask the teacher in class for additional help and sometimes leaves the classroom not quite getting the concept. I got a cse in maths in my day so dont feel at a level to help her and my OH has no patience and always seems to be at work when needed on the homework front.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

If you can't find a math tutor, would you consider a Year 12/13 student who has done very well on their own GCSE? My son (yr 13) was approached by a parent about tutoring her son for GCSE's as she couldn't find anybody, and the boy is really relating to my son as there's not a whole lot of age difference, they studied the same exam board, and he thoroughly enjoys making as much money for an hour and a half each week as he does for his 7 hours a day on Sunday at his p/t job.

Maybe there is a good school by you that you could find such a student to help with your own child?
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

If you don't find anyone, then can heartily recommend using the CD Rom called Maths 2XL.
There are Key Stage 3 and KS4. Not cheap, at £200 each. However, each module is explained (Australian accent!) very clearly in step by step fashion. Each module lasts 2-7 minutes, and there are 200+ of them per KS.
Questions after each section are marked and solutions provided.

Definitely beats staring at a textbook, especially if she is motivated.
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
moved

Post by moved »

Do her school use mymaths? She can do lots of examples online without worrying about being embarrassed in class.
KenR

Post by KenR »

One option you might want to consider is doing either GCSE or IGCSE Maths via distance learning using someone like the National Extension College. My son did the latter in year 8 and you get a really great course book and you also get allocated a tutor who can be contacted via email.

The Tutor marks all of the assignments and gives really useful feedback as well as correctly worked examples.

Really excellent way of building confidence in Maths.
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Thanks for info KenR seems quite expensive. My daughter seems to run hot and cold with regard to needing help/tutor! Still wondering what to do!!
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

moving

Thanks for your advice. Yes her school do use My maths. She is often moaning about it though.
moved

Post by moved »

Overpeck, could you and your daughter sit down together and go through a revision book with explanations. Perhaps the fact that you are not the best will help her confidence. She can explain to you what she already knows, which would provide her with consolidation as well as confidence.
If you need more information than you currently have then the following website has textbooks online that are free to use.
http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects ... llgcse.htm
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

Thanks moving we will try your advice. If she compares herself to me she will think she is brilliant. I may even learn something..... I got a CSE maths back in the 70s!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now