Do independant schools want 11+ results too?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suey12

Do independant schools want 11+ results too?

Post by Suey12 »

We are entering our son for 11+ next month. He is also set to take two entrance exams for local independant schools in January.

My question is, would the independant schools prefer him to have taken/passed the 11+ exam, or don't they generally care what other exams he may have taken?

By the time we get the results for the independant schools, we won't yet know whether he has passed the 11+, but the schools may know.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Our son sat entrance exams for independent schools and the 11+ for a GS. The independent schools were not at all interested in the results of the 11+.

In our experience it was a totally separate event. They did, however, ensure that we had until the 11+ results were in before we had to make a decision.

I hope that helps.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Passing the 11+ is a good indication to you as a parent as to whether your child might pass the indie's exam.
I know that for Sevenoaks, they require that your child be of an '11+ standard'....but they don't use the 11+ pass as an okay to join them, you have to sit their exam.
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

Not all indies are academically selective - my DS wouldn't have passed the 11 plus but has been (thank God) accepted to an indie local to us. He is however going down a year (which we wanted in the first place).
moved

Post by moved »

One point of interest is that indie scholarship success, especially to a prestigious school can be used in appeal for the 11+ as evidence of academic ability. This does of course depend on your region.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

moving wrote:One point of interest is that indie scholarship success, especially to a prestigious school can be used in appeal for the 11+ as evidence of academic ability. This does of course depend on your region.
This intrigued me Moving as I would have thought that the appeal panel would have opted not to offer a place if they knew a child had a scholarship because they may feel that the child has a good option available and be potentially ignorant in thinking that a scholarship means the child's place will be free too. Obviously this could never be proven but if I were in the appeal panels position then I may do that. I can see that it is more proof of the child's academic ability but I would have thought it would have had the opposite effect. It is a good thing if it does help however.
moved

Post by moved »

It worked in the case I know. Child is now happy in yr 10 in his home county grammar. I do not think the financial incentive was high enough for the parents to take up the offer.
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

We mentioned the offer of a scholarship in our appeal as part of the evidence for for academic ability and we won our appeal.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am still intrigued by this but more so because I mentioned on the appeal section once if an external IQ test could be used as evidence and I think the consensus was no. I would have thought that would have held more sway than scholarship offers especially if the test showed and extraordinary high IQ. :confused:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I just wonder if a high scoring external IQ test might be perceived as a case of he who pays the piper calls the tune ie possibly not entirely unbiased???

However indies are unlikely to be offering scholarships to help kids succeed in some other educational endeavour.

I think most panels would be aware that scholarship no longer means free place - I know of a fair few people now who despite a scholarship +/- top up bursary still opt for the GS place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now