Woodford County High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chai

Woodford County High School for Girls

Post by Chai »

I am hoping someone on this forum can help. We have made a last minute decision to enter my daughter for entrance into Woodford Girls.

The school is situated in Ilford and comes under Redbridge, I think. I am told the tests for Woodford High differ from those Grammar Schools coming under the Essex Consortium, so I thought posting here might give me a better chance of getting a response.

I think the papers are NVR, VR and the usual maths and English. But I am not sure myself about the format.

Should I use Bond? Normally, I avoid Bond because we come under Essex. But I am not sure about Woodford

Any tips or advice, especially from Patricia or Etienne - the learned ones, would be great.

Best regards
Chai
DA

Woodford County Girls

Post by DA »

You are right, the exam is different from CSSE.
Your daughter only sits VR and NVR, I don't know which one comes first.
I learnt that Bond is their publisher so if you can concentrate on the VR and NVR papers only that would be helpful. You can use other publishers too like NFER, AE etc
Chai

Post by Chai »

I have just looked at the Woodford Website and have also rung their office to check. I thought this information would help others who wish to apply:

There are 2 tests: one in December and one in January. Quoting from the website:
The first test, in December, will be a non-verbal reasoning multiple-choice test. The second test, in January, will be a verbal reasoning multiple-choice test.

The tests are meant to test your child’s natural ability.

All candidates are given practice tests. You do not have to prepare your child for them and you cannot get past copies of the tests that are used.
Bond is NOT their publisher for these exams. - The person (presumably the school secretary) I spoke with over the phone confirmed this.

The tests are multiple choice format.

Hope this helps.
eshaspr

Re: Woodford County High School for Girls

Post by eshaspr »

Exams are now held in just one sitting. They happen just before xmas hols. Children do practice and then actual exams.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Yes, in spite of what the website says, the format changed in 2010/11, so that both VR and NVR were held on the same day (20th December 2010). As you have discovered, there are no maths and English exams.

I used Bond in preparing my DS, but not all the question types are relevant. The most relevant papers are the GA assessment ones (VR and NVR multiple choice), but they are best kept until quite close to the exam because (a) there aren't many of them available and (b) they are quite hard and if used at an early stage might intimidate your DD!

There's a Redbridge sub-forum on this website with some discussion that you might find helpful. Don't be too worried about having left it late. I started preparing my DS in February (one hour weekly one-to-one with a tutor and practice papers at home), so only two months earlier than you, and he got a place! The techniques are very coachable; if your DD has the ability she will catch on quickly and improve steadily and there's plenty of time.

Best of luck.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Hi Chai,

For VR: the same papers and books as used for Essex are useful. My understanding is that they use the same 21 types that Essex use. So Susan D; Mike Walsh; Tutor paper level 4 are all very useful.

Material for NVR were harder to get. We found the Bond books very useful for this as well as the "Athey Secondary..." papers. And off course the NFER and Bond A4 sized assessment papers are a must. Other sources of papers are those sold on this site (and perhaps others - I can't name them here for obvious reasons :lol: ).

My DS sat the exam for 2010 so apologies for not remembering exact names.

There is a strict catchment area rule for entrance to Woodford County High - so please check the Redbridge website before putting your daughter through it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now