chatham grammar school for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jokiebe

chatham grammar school for boys

Post by jokiebe »

I have been studying the Admission to Secondary Schools booklet and have noticed that Chatham GS for Boys has a published admissions number of 146 but has only allocated 115 places in 2008 and 120 places in 2009 - does anyone know if there is a reason for this?? (am going to view tomorrow night but dont like to ask questions in public!) many thanks.
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

It's because of the falling birth rate. Medway only deems 25 per cent of the school population suitable for grammar school. As the total number of kids in the school year has shrunk, so the number of kids in the top 25 per cent has also dropped. Meanwhile the number of places at grammar schools has not dropped...so there have been places left empty.

I may not be explaining this very well. Here's a link to an article that explains it better:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... desks.html

Chatham Boys Grammar also does not do as well on its results as the other grammars for boys so that's why its probably the least preferred choice. It's right next to Chatham South School too.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Ignore post - thought it was about Chatham House Grammar.......oops :)
jokiebe

Post by jokiebe »

Thanks Testbuster.... I prefer the Math School out of the two but am worried about the implications of only putting down 1 grammar school, it does seem that the Maths School is the most popular and distance wise I would have a problem with a school further than these two......... decisions, decisions.......
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now