year 7 german

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sally40

year 7 german

Post by sally40 »

Iam bit confused with levels for german, my ds has just started german and has just sat a test which showed him at a level 2, what is the expected level at the start of year 7? :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi sally40!

I found with both DD and DS that subjects such as languages which in generla had not been studied before had relatively low scores in year 7. i think for german and french they were at about 4 by the end of the year compared with 6s in some other subjects which they had done before. seems odd as they hadn;t done things like physics before yet they seemed to get higher marks as it followed on from primary school science.

I am sure someone else will be able to explain it all muc better than me!
sally40

Post by sally40 »

Thanks Hm but just a bit concerned that it was a low level compared to getting a 6 in science and as he was the only one to go to this school i dont know any other parents to compare where he is at or whether i should possibly speak to his teacher. :?: :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

know what you mean - we didn't get attainment grades until the end of the second term and the languages were definitely lower than the science / maths / eng etc and so was the target they had, we had explanatory notes which said that they were all lower as they had only just started the subjects. DS said that they all got similar sort of results. i sure it is OK to ask the teacher - do they have some sort of e-mail contact system??
moved

Post by moved »

DD said that grades in her class were mostly 3s (range 2a-4c) but this is only one test. You can't really level until they have a bit more to go on.
Milla

Post by Milla »

if it's any help, have just gone to consult our file - DS1 started German in Y7 and at this stage, after half a term (we get order grades half termly) was on a 2c. He started French this year (Y8) and has just got a 2a. Typically, I'd have said his German was better then than his French is now, but just to confuse me the marks don't reflect this. I think he's meant to be at 5a or 6c by the end of Y9.

Personally I've found all this ascribing SATs grades to their on-going work baffling and inconsistent. They are "meant" to rise 2 sub levels in an academic year, say from 5c to 5a or 5a to 6b etc. But his are ricocheting around all over the place. Drops a whole level in a half term, rises a whole level in a half term and no-one seems concerned or to add it together.

As long as he's enjoying it and seems to be keeping up I wouldn't worry yet.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

I think that you'll find at some point in the curriculum there will be a very high increase in the levels! Until they start working on past, present and future tense (particularly in French) their grades/levels will be reflected low. Once they get into the past/present/future, you will see a dramatic increase in the grades.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DD is in year 8 and just got a 4+ for her work in french - several of them got this and it was the highest mark.
jemima

Post by jemima »

Don't worry. two of mine took German and both got 2's 3's in year 7. Both got A* one in year 11 and one in year 9. So to go from a 3 to an A* in 3 years really does reflect they have only just begun in year 7.
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Well a 2 sounds a lot better than son's recent grade in year 7 - he has been given a grade of Wc for both languages. I think it means "working towards a level 1c" but then again it could mean something else! :lol: