What is the Pre U?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fatandfifty

What is the Pre U?

Post by Fatandfifty »

Can someone explain this to me as our grammar school has chosen three pupils to do this course/level? and would like to know what it is and why it is being offered and to why so few? Do you need to be G&T or is the school just piloting the Pre U so thereby only choosing three pupils.
Also, what do you gain by it - can it be used for Ucas points, good university or perhaps to mention at interview.

Thanks in anticipation.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

This is a new course, offered since 2008 I think. It's a 'pre university' course, offered by Cambridge, and it's seen to be a better evaluator of a student's academic ability than the traditional A levels or IB. Probably being offered to so few students, as they are deemed Cambridge material? As the course is offered by Cambridge, I would think that they like it for their applicants?
another mother

Post by another mother »

It's much more like the A levels that most of us (well the older amongst us) remember. I was really impressed by it when we heard the talk at Westminster and it was in reality the thing that made us temporarily consider the school seriously. Greater depth, really thought out course, a chance to write a dissertation on something you cared about - no exams at the AS level so you have to commit to it over the two years. But you also have time to go deeper. The History of ARt one was really impressive - the English perhaps less so. But even Westminster - who designed the Hof A course- don't offer it in all subjects by any means - not sure why. Many schools don't because you can't only do it for a year - and that means you can reduce choices for those who, for instance, might choose to do a year of history of art.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Some schools offer more Pre-U subjects and some only offer a handful because they either feel that the A'level equivalent is similar or better. I am particularly pro Pre-U over any qualification as there are not 100 resits (ok slight exageration but I have known 36 resits in one subject!) or any coursework but of course this has its downside for those who struggle with exams. I think there is a large written element - Global Perspectives Project but am unsure what this entails.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now