Medway 11+ exam results may be flawed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Parent100

Medway 11+ exam results may be flawed

Post by Parent100 »

My child failed the Medway 11+ badly this year (2009) although they were predicted to pass easily.

It has come to my attention that many schools are reporting that children expected to pass the Medway exam have failed badly and children not expected to pass have performed exceptionally highly.

Has anyone else got examples where this has taken place, I suspect I may only hear from those parents whose own children have failed, but if you can give examples of children that passed and were not expected to I would like to hear from you!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Have a look at the Bexley stats thread on the Bexley site. There are loads of kids that this has happened to and due to the Council's mismanagement of the system, all these kids will be fighting for the comps and there won't be enough places for them.
twinkletoes

Post by twinkletoes »

why oh why are you looking for examples of "unexpected" passes? This happens every year - has it occurred to you that your cherub may just have had a bad day at the office? We all have them.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

I am a tutor and each year I "predict" what I think/hope the outcome of the test will be for each of them - this year I was right in all barr 1 so not sure I agree that there were some unexpected results but of course I am only representing a few of the many that went iin for it.
Regards
red_debs
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I know of two children who narrowly missed the Medway but passed the Kent, but were expected to pass. I also know of another child who was very borderline but just passed. I know of a child who was expected to fly through and did - with nearly full marks.

I think we can all think of somebody who should have but didn't, wasn't expected to but did....

Unfortunately this is what happens as it is only one day's testing, anybody can have a bad day...the system is by no means perfect, but I do see the same patterns every year. Not comforting I know. :?

ps Reddebs - great predictions! :)
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

In all honesty, I think a better 'test' would be the work to date done at the school than a test on one day. There are all kinds of situations that can be taken into account on a day......with I think pressure being one of the main ones. I don't know about anybody else, but when I was ten, I was out kicking balls around, having fun, being a kid - not really giving much concern to the weekly spelling test etc. I didn't grow up here, so didn't have SATS (if they were around then) to even worry about. We either passed the whole year or not, got passed onto the next year or even kept behind or put a year ahead if we were doing really well. I think the whole 'testing' nature of ten year old children, with such a high stake, is really sad - epecially when it comes down to ONE DAY. Any of these kids who were expected to pass but didn't - they might've had a sleepless night, they might've been mentally exhausted, sick to the stomach, distracted, or just having an 'off day'. Some of the ones who maybe didn't expect to pass but thought they'd give it a shot anyways - maybe they were more relaxed, would be happy if they passed but not devastated, slept well the night before - who knows! I do think this in itself could explain some of the results the OP talks about.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now