Even more frustrated mum now!!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Frustratedmum

Even more frustrated mum now!!!!

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi everyone,
Up until now I've only posted on Bucks but we are in the process of organising a move to Minster in March. As we only found out a few days ago, all our efforts have been focused on Bucks 11+ & GS. Now, after taking the Bucks 11+ (no results until Nov 21st), we have to look into the Medway test, for which I understand by this site has already been taken & results published.
Now I'm calling upon all here present :lol: for some much needed advice. I hope you don't mind, I will be asking many questions & hope it's not too annoying if questions have already been answered elsewhere on the forum.
Ok, I believe the Medway test consists of Maths, Writing & VR. Firstly would anbody be able to recommend some good practise papers for the Maths & especially the Writing? DS is very competent at both Maths & English (has been predicted high SATs results) & has done a fair bit of practise work for the VR he had to sit here.
Next is choice of Grammar Schools, there seems to be a very good choice in all areas nearby whether Medway or Kent, however almost all seem to be single sex, only issue that we have with this is that DS has more girls as close friends than boys & he loves that kind of environment. We very much like the look of RMGS, I'm almost certain this would be our first choice, although slightly worried about high pass mark required, as I'm sure many people were, as you never know how DC will do on test day.
Can anyone recommend any other mixed GS in the area? And out of interest how many choices do we get? Also does anyone know about travel services to this school from Minster?
I will be contacting Medway Council on Monday re. applying for test & schools however, does anyone here have 'insider' knowledge of what kind of process we will have to go through now & also if we can apply for the school now so that we get included in first round of allocations and where would DS be asked to sit the test seeing as we haven't moved yet? His current HT would probably be happy to let him take it at the school but not 100% sure as we would be leaving the school before this academic year ends unfortunately. Pinning all hopes on DS achieving a place at a GS as we don't have any local knowledge of Secondary schools in our new location, perhaps people might like to p.m. me some advice??
Well many thanks indeed if you have managed to sit & read all of this :oops: & thanks in advance for all responses!! :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

From Minster I think your nearest grammar is Borden, thats mixed as well but in kent. RMGS is well thought of in medway but a more difficult journey from Minster, not sure how many changes would be made by public transport to get there.
As far as the writing is concerned in the Medway test its a 50 min bit of creative writing, can be anything, story, newspaper report, letter - no choice on the day, just one question. Hope this helps. :)
MedwayMumof1

Re: Even more frustrated mum now!!!!

Post by MedwayMumof1 »

Frustratedmum wrote:. We very much like the look of RMGS, I'm almost certain this would be our first choice, although slightly worried about high pass mark required, as I'm sure many people were, as you never know how DC will do on test day.
On looking through the Medway Admissions booklet (which is available on the Council's website), for 2009 admission, it states the score needed was not higher than the lowest score required to be deemed selective.

I am also aware of pupils attaining a place under review that were a few marks under the pass mark last year.

I hope that helps - it might also be worth talking to the school directly.

Best of luck

Medwaymumof1
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Thanks guys, that does help so far.
Tiredmum, Borden it says, only takes girls from sixth form sadly.
Does anyone also know whether you can write on maths test sheet or have scrap paper?
Thanks again
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

in kent 11 plus my child said they had scrap paper but in medway were allowed to write on answer sheet, You got a sixth form child as well? :)
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Yes, the children are allowed to write on the question papers for working out for the vr and math.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

:lol: No, sorry I meant to say Borden is a boys only school until the sixth form, which isn't much use for us :lol: :lol:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

oh sorry i dont know why i thought it was mixed :oops:
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Hi There are no mixed sex schools in the Sittingbourne area - I think there may be one on the wayto Faversham but that is a long journey. Saying that though RMGS will be difficult to get to as there is no train station nearby and will require a change of bus in Sittingbourne.
I have personal experience of Borden and live close to RMGS and know a bit about that school too and am happy to chat through my thoughts if you want to PM me for phone number
Regards
red_debs
red_debs
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Thanks reddebs, I might just have to take you up on your kind offer :wink: :lol: . I'm going to give Medway Council a call either this week or next (I have huge event to help organise at work this week first :)) . Once I have called them, if I have any more to ask I will let you know, thank you again.

My next question is, does anyone have any idea on whether or not they would take into consideration the score DS gets on the verbal reasoning test that he's already taken, or will he have to sit this again for sure?

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now