only applied for shs HELP !!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

proudaspunch

only applied for shs HELP !!!!

Post by proudaspunch »

when i filled in the application form for 11+ i only ticked the shs box !!!!

is there any way i can change this or is it too late :!: :!: :!:
Milla

Post by Milla »

do you want to change it for more info when the results come out, or to be considered for more schools should the pass rate be good???
proudaspunch

Post by proudaspunch »

dd has her heart set on a grammar just thought i may have really narrowed down her chances by only putting down one grammar :oops: i know denmark rd is a short journey , what are the other grammars in this area ???
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Capers will be the best one for advice on this. His daughter went to Stroud High last year and he also sits on appeal panels.

I have a feeling that Stroud High and Denmark are on a par as to scoring high enough to get in. I think Ribston which is also in Gloucester was historically easier but it is becoming more popular as many seem to prefer it to Denmark ( I only have boys so have no personal experience of the schools).

It is probably best not to worry too much about until you get your results. The CAF doesn't have to be filled in for another week is it? I have a feeling you might be able to put a school down and if not given a place appeal but Capers will know more.
Milla

Post by Milla »

for girls, SHS, DRd, Ribston, Pate's (mixed).
Can't help, sorry. To put your mind at rest, why not call the admissions office at the schools tomorrow - for DRd it'll be Shire Hall. Just what you need! something else to stress about. Let us know how you get on.
proudaspunch

Post by proudaspunch »

thankyou for all yor advice i'm a novice at this !!!! i think i'll wait for results and go from there :shock:

I suppose this is all good practise for my other dd next year lol !!!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

Do Stroud give a mark, so you can assess her chances against the others? I ask this because DRd (and Tommy's) don't - which is why when you want one of those 2 schools you are wise to tick all the options to get some idea of relevant placing. Is it Stroud who do the quintile thing (whatever that is!)
proudaspunch

Post by proudaspunch »

marling do a quintile score!! High give top 120 no score given 120 to 160 score given 160 and below no score . :oops: :wink:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Milla wrote:Do Stroud give a mark, so you can assess her chances against the others? I ask this because DRd (and Tommy's) don't - which is why when you want one of those 2 schools you are wise to tick all the options to get some idea of relevant placing. Is it Stroud who do the quintile thing (whatever that is!)
Marling do the quintile thing, Stroud High do "top 120 (no score)", "passed but not top 120 - with score", "not passed - with score".

Last year, Denmark Rd was oversubscribed, Ribston had loads of spare places (which could not be offered to children who had not passed, except by an appeal panel). Stroud was lightly oversubscribed. Previously Denmark & Ribston were the other way round.

To answer the original question, you will need advice from admissions at Ribston, or Shire Hall for Denmark Rd. If the worst comes to the worst and you don't get a place at Stroud, but have a high enough mark to have got into one of the others, then you could appeal, and the pass would be taken into account. Not sure what would happen if you put one of the schools that you'd not ticked on the common application form, but I suspect that it would be ignored, as the schools / exam admin at County send a list of children who have passed along with their ranking to the admissions section.
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh Capers, I'm glad you've turned up.
Do you mind explaining "the quintile thing" - have heard the phrase, but don't understand. Thankyou - and apologies to PasP for hijacking.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now