11+,24/7

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mattsurf

11+,24/7

Post by mattsurf »

The eleven plus has been my worst nightmare, ever since the first paper I ever did,aged 9. But now it is part of my daily life. OK, it may be a bit gruelling and torture-like,but parents are just trying to show how well they want you to do in later life,strange but true! :D Grammar school can give you better education than a comprehensive school, that has been the words on my mum's lips for the past 24 months. The past tweleve months have been gruelling for me, being bombarded with an abundance of papers,Maths, English and Verbal Reasoning (the papers we do in wiltshire), and I have to say I am sick of it. :twisted:

My advice to you, parents is to have a lot of patience and don't get over stressed with your children. Make sure they check their work carefully,because it was a mistake I always made! Try to make sure they finish the paper with about 5 minutes to spare (so that they have time to check). The last thing is, be armed with cod liver oil, it's good for the brain!

Children, my advice to you is: look out for careless errors, check your work carefully, try to finish in 45 minutes and look out for fussy tutors and cod liver oil!

All in all, your work will eventually pay off and you are on your way to a better life. It may seem bad at first, but after 11 months you don't notice it.

On the day, try to keep cool, don't break into tears,or you will be regarded as a wimp .:evil: take your time and relax.

all I can say is, Welcome To ****!!!!

Name taken out by moderator
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Ah! Are you sure you want your name on the post though?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

?

Ed's mum is right, you shouldn't use your real name.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

For children about to take their 11+ this is probably the most stressful time.

Partly as an exercise in creative writing, and partly so that DS's opinion could be heard, I asked him to write an honest post about his experience of taking the 11+.

I think that his feelings are a pretty good representation of many parents experience. The last few months have been really hard work on all of our parts. While many of his friends have done nothing at all we have spent time working in the evenings and weekends.

Some of the timescales may be slightly exagerated (we have not been doing this for 2 years)... however, perceptions of time are different when you are 9 or 10 years old.

Like many of the parents, I am really proud of the amount of work that DS is putting in - at times it has been a struggle

For parents and children just starting down this road, please read my DS's post, in many respects it is an honest view of what you are in for if you have a reasonably intelligent child
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Very brave of you mattsurf and I know what you mean about the child's perception of the timescales involved. My DS2 very quickly forgot that he had the whole summer off!

The cod liver oil takes me back way too many years. Was given it for my 11+ and every sports day and it is foul. I don't think my mother fully understood the concept of having to take these things regularly for the effect, thank goodness :wink: .
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Congratulations on your post, Youngmattsurf.

Well done!
:D
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now