Am I the scum of the earth?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pushyparent

Am I the scum of the earth?

Post by pushyparent »

Reading some of the posts, I wonder whether I am regarded by many as the scum of the earth.

I have a son at Private School who has just taken his 11+, we started on practice papers in January on a Saturday morning, and then sent him to tutor in May for one term.

He had 5 or 6 Saturday morning clinics at his school during the term and he was continuing with practice papers during the Summer holiday.

Result - 420. We live about 14 miles from Judd, so out of area, although not out of county, and that is the school he applied for and we will be putting him on the train should he get a place.

Had he not passed, he would have stayed in the private sector for at least the next 2 years, so he has saved us a considerable amount of fees.

Am I evil?
katel

Post by katel »

You're not evil. But the system is inherently unfair. Not your fault - you're just using what's there. You didn't have to use it - but human nature being what it is, of course you did. As most people would have. Sad that there won't be any grammar school places for boys who live withing walking distance of Judd - but them's the breaks.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

I don't think so. I am very much of the opinion that every parent has to make a decision about schooling for their children, and while opinions of friends and family may help you order your thoughts, it is ultimately your decision and your responsibility to make sure your child is having an appropriate education for that child.
Only you know your child, and only you have the responsibility to make sure they fulfil their potential. If your child is unhappy then it is something different and maybe different choices should be considered, but if your child is happy, enjoying life as well as school, then who is anyone else to criticise the decisions you have made for your family?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

Yes :lol: :lol:

I have a friend who is a nurse. She has a very bright daughter, who sat for a superselective grammar - we don't have ordinary grammars near us. They coached the girl themself, as they couldn't afford a tutor (tutors are very expensive around where we live). She just failed. However, because of where she lives, her daughter then had to go to a "not very good" school.

My friend was quite upset when a consultant at the hospital boasted [as she saw it] to her of how his child had got into said school, and that it had saved him a small fortune in fees. He was obviously very thoughtless, as there was no way my friend can afford the fees. She saw it as the consultant buying a place (through tutoring), when he could have very easily afforded a private school.

However, at the end of the day, everyone has to do what is best for them. After all, we don't make the rules.

(Her daughter is now top at her new school, and being teased for being a swot.)
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Join the "evil parent club" pushy parent! I paid a tutor and moved into catchment, I guess that makes me a bit on the evil side too!
Everyone on this site is here because they want to do the best that they can for their children. Unfortunately some parents have the resources to do more than others, that is life, unfair, but life all the same.
katel

Post by katel »

There are people who consider the greater good as well as the best for their own particular child when making decisions. But they are few and far between.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

katel wrote:There are people who consider the greater good as well as the best for their own particular child when making decisions. But they are few and far between.
Not surprising really, choice between Judd and committing yourself to 5 - 7 years school fees...
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Yes, if you have put this post up to annoy which you know it will.

No, if you are hoping for valid discussion or wanting to feel comfrotable with your personal choice

You know which :wink:
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

pushyparent

This thread is just a wind up. IMHO Should be deleted.
Animis opibusque parati
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:pushyparent

This thread is just a wind up. IMHO Should be deleted.
It's amazing how many people have done that recently. I sometimes wonder if it's the same person logging in under different names - always under the Kent thread but usually fanning the flames on the OOC debate.

Apologies pp if you are genuine (I dont think you are evil btw - just looking out for your own) - just saying I have noticed a lot of people posting just one or two posts then disappearing when the arguments start, then another new poster coming on to start it all up again :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now