Clerks notes recieved

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cp

Clerks notes recieved

Post by cp »

I have just recieved the clerks notes from my daughters unsuccessful appeal, as we want to take our case to the ombudsman.I gave details of our case on this forum, under" etienne please comment on unfair appeal decision"
The key to the panel refusing our appeal was the "very poor school work " we submitted.This seems to have been the turning point even though the school work in question was ks2 type tests resulting in 5C's!
The panel also highly disputed the ranking and felt that as only 13 pupils out of the 27 that took the test passed, then only 13 should have been ranked to pass?! In fact, the rankings were highly accurate ,pupils ranked 1-20 have now been given a grammar school place, 5 on appeal.The successful appeal rankings were 16,17,19,20.The only 2 pupils not given a place on appeal were my daughter ranked 13th, scored 116 and 120 and a child ranked 10th.How can they say my daughter is not academically suitable for grammar school when the highly experienced teachers at her school have said that she is? We hope the ombudsman will grant us a fresh hearing.Anyone have any tips on this?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This seems to raise more questions than it answers!

Remember the Ombudsman looks at maladministration - not whether he/she agrees with the decision. Read the notes carefully and use bits from the notes to back up what you say.

Did they panel 'ignore' evidence or not consider parts of what you submitted - get ready for a long wait!
Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Could anyone tell me please if there are notes written to back successfull appeals as well as those that fail. We had our appeal on Thursday and havent as expected received our letter today, I wondered whether that meant we were unsuccessful and the delay is because the clerk has to type up the panel's notes re why we failed and that this takes longer?

I am really worried about the answer of poor school work submitted as our son's work is very messy (typical boy) and we are fearing that this might cause us to fail.

Help!

Guest1
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Notes are taken at all appeals - they are usually hand written and not written up - I think you will more likely hear on Monday or Tuesday.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest1

Please don't read anything into the time taken to receive your letter. Although last year people were receiving their letters within 48 hours, they seem to be taking longer this year - as much as the 6 -7 maximum period. There appears to be no relationship whatsoever between the length of time and the end result.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Re: Clerks notes recieved

Post by Etienne »

cp wrote:The key to the panel refusing our appeal was the "very poor school work " we submitted.This seems to have been the turning point even though the school work in question was ks2 type tests resulting in 5C's!
Dear cp

This is curious! Am I understanding correctly? The verdict "very poor school work" was based entirely on SATs papers showing 5c level???

Damning conclusions such as "very poor school work" would need to be based on hard evidence such as teachers' comments in exercise books or school reports, otherwise I think you would have grounds for a complaint.

References to the rankings can be ambiguous - it is not always clear whether they relate to the exact order in which pupils are listed, or to the headteacher suitability recommendations.

Panels should not be saying that that as only 13 pupils out of the 27 that took the test passed, then only 13 should have been ranked to pass. If this is what was really said, then it's far too extreme. However, there is a problem in that schools on average are over-optimistic and tend to recommend far more pupils than actually qualify at the 11+.

As I said to you before, I would compare the headteacher's recommendations with the number of children who qualified (before the appeals process - panels have absolutely no information about the outcome of other appeals which are ongoing). The more accurate the recommendations, the more confidence I would have in the school's judgement. Just my view.

Regards
Etienne
CLAIRE re cp

very poor school work

Post by CLAIRE re cp »

Yes Etienne, the comments of "the school work submitted was very poor, was referring to 3 sats tests marked with 5C's.Also some other work, not sats tests, but all with good marks.The chair of the panel also said that there were many unflattering remarks by the teachers.I looked through the work again thinking " oh my god! what did we do?", but there were no "unflattering remarks", only praise and 1,at the most 2 suggestions by the teachers for improvements to the work.I am so pleased that you feel we have cause for complaint.We will persevere!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It sounds as if the comments were probably good 'assessment for learning' type things - how to improve - this might be seen by some as 'criticism' if they are not familiar with this good practice.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear cp

The chances of a successful complaint might also be affected by whether any other reasons for not upholding the appeal are valid. However, if you're right that the comments about school work were key to the decision, it strengthens your position.

Assuming that the school work was taken away with you at the end of the hearing, and that there are no photocopies on record, I would urge you to complain quickly to the appeals office (irrespective of any complaint to the ombudsman). The more time passes, the more difficult it could be to establish exactly what the panel was referring to.

It might be worth asking the school if they will deny ever making criticisms such as "very poor work".

Regards
Etienne
anxiou mum

appeal

Post by anxiou mum »

The ombudman is a slow and tortuous process.They only deal with process not the facts that led to the decision.You need to look carefully at what can be achieved.Don't build up youtr hopes -it really is about maladmintration not what was said
Sorry to be so blunt but it best to realise the restrictive nature of the process.