Feedback / Useful information for next year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cairo

Feedback / Useful information for next year

Post by cairo »

Thought I might start a thread with feedback from this year's test, in case it is useful for those doing it next year. This is all according to my DS1 - feel free to add to or amend if your DCs have told you differently...

1. Paper one (85 questions in 45 mins) had an answer sheet with A, B, C, D, E as the choices each time.

2. Paper two (80 questions in 50 mins) had an answer sheet where all of the possible answers were printed on it. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say here.

3. The children's names and dates of birth were already printed on the answer sheets. They just had to write their names on the top to confirm who they were.

4. According to my DS1, the first paper was "easier" than those he'd been practising (NFER, Bright Sparks etc) but the second paper was "much, much harder." He didn't think there were any question types that he hadn't seen before - so presumably it was just the level of what was being asked.

5. At Tommys they were told they should NOT write on the question paper for the first test, but that they COULD write on the question paper for the second test. (....Huh??....)

6. His entire room were late back for the second test, due to a queue at the loos during the break. Fortunately, they were allowed to start and finish the test 7 minutes late.

7. DS1 cannot remember a single question he was asked. Or is it just that he wants his mother off his back??

So now it's just a question of waiting till the envelope arrives. Trying not to worry too much that DS1 didn't manage to finish the second paper... Good Luck to everyone else's DCs.

Cairo
Milla

Post by Milla »

Hi, Cairo, hoping it went well for you then??
I remember you had timing issues and then a crisis so hope that all's ok for you and yours now.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

The children who were ill or couldn't make the test last Saturday are sitting it tomorrow - good luck to those little people!

Then all the papers are going off for marking....yikes :shock: :shock:

Only joking! It will be fine everybody! :lol: :lol:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Milla

Post by Milla »

what you mean they're just sort of sitting in some old box getting wet in a warehouse???

I was imagining a hive of activity, a level of importance, a sort of Wallace and Gromet / Toy Story (airport scene) / monsters inc (door scene) / chitty chitty bang bang (food making scene - one of these must mean something to someone) with the papers being fed through a big marking machine, not just HANGING AROUND!!!!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

From my information apparently none are marked until the residual papers are sat and collected tomorrow. Let's hope they are not being stored in an old box in a wet dank warehouse :lol: :lol:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Can I please suggest that if anybody has factual information relating to this years test that they post it to the sticky,so that it is easily accessible for future use?

Thanks
GM
cairo

Post by cairo »

Milla - Gosh, you've got a good memory for these things haven't you? Yes, my DS1 was the one with big timing problems a few weeks before the test. But we stuck with it and he did manage to speed up. Telling him just to ignore the Z questions helped too.

So on the day, he finished the first paper but didn't have time to do the last 6 or 7 of the second. Considering how slow he was a few weeks previously, I consider that to be a good effort on his part. And I'm very proud of him for giving it a go. I'm sure all our children will have learnt a lot about perserverance, determination and exam technique, which will stand them in good stead for the future - irrespective of their results next week. (...Would still like him to pass though, obviously!) Fingers crossed everybody.
Milla

Post by Milla »

well, you were nice to me, so I did the only decent thing and slipped back through the posts and "refreshed" my memory. Manners Maketh Milla. And your name is quite distinctive. Glad it went well.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

That sounds great Cairo quite a few don't finish papers especially the last one. My DS1 didn't last year, even though his timing was very good at the cost of precision in the run up, he still got a place. So good luck for your son.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now