Royal Russell

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mummyto3

Royal Russell

Post by Mummyto3 »

Evening all

Any info on Royal Russell. Am considering going to their open day to see what it is like. I know it is not as academically strong as some of the other indies in the Croydon area but I have heard the children are happy there.

Thanks
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Don't know much either, but that is certainly the impression I get. Do nice teas for sport :D

Has the advantages of being co-ed and going through from primary to 18 with I think beautiful grounds (but I've always got out of taking the kids to the fixtures there)

Pretty expensive compared to the other Croydon independents I think.

Most of the people I know with kids there are happy with it
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi Surreymum

Am considering it for my youngest DS; a possible back up if he does not pass the exams for Trinity/Whitgift.
Alphamum

Post by Alphamum »

Hi mummy2three, I've been surfing for more info lately on indie schools/boarding as well! I've been thinking strongly about trying for 10+ (for several reasons; one - can't go through the 11+ GS tests which is 2 years away and indie has many advantages which i think DS can benefit from). I've even received brochure from Eton (its 13+ entrance though and its like setting my eyes on the sky limit!), even read through St Paul's brochure\website as well as Kingston Grammar. I did consider all sorts of options... the bottom line is, I want the best we can afford for DS (will have to hope for some sort of scholarship - will be thrilled with 50%).

I've not heard of Royal Russell until now. Are you thinking of boarding?

I have thought if DS get into a school which is a bit inconvenient to travel, it might be better to board (though the thought of missing him will tear me apart).

I realise our DS are both in same year, but at least you have done it once with your older one (which I am delighted for you). I wish you all the best with your 2nd DS and for all your generosity in sharing experiences/understanding/advice, you and your children deserve it all. So good luck all the way. :)
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

You are right, Mummyto3, it is not in the same league as other Croydon schools but the grounds are beautiful and it is a very friendly school.

I know that parents at my sons' school view it as a fallback for boys who don't make Trinity or Whitgift.

One parent I know has a very bright child there and she regrets choosing it. She says that it is great for helping the lower achievers but not for pushing the more able.

So if you want a gentler school, more focused on the more average child then it is probably a good bet. Good luck!
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Thanks LazyDaisy and Alphamum

I am considering it as my 2nd DS is not as strong academically as 1st DS and I'm not sure he would be able to cope with schools like Trinity/Whitgift so RR may suit him as he is jusr over average for his age.

I think I will go an open day and see what it's like to get a 'feel' for it.

Alphamum

I would not consider boarding as I would miss them too much and I feel as if I would be missingout on things; but nothing wrong with boarding my DH loved it; just not for me. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now