the story

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
optimistic!

the story

Post by optimistic! »

Does anybody who did the Calderdale paper last year remember what the story part of the exam is like?

Do they get given a brief and have a certain amount of time to write it, and if so what is the brief like and how long do they get?

Does good spelling matter?

Thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'll ask DS tonight if he can remember anything about essay.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

From DS memory ..

A single title and 30 mins. The title was along the lines of Ideal Home.
No idea on how the essay is marked. Sorry - not much to go on. :roll:
optimistic!

Post by optimistic! »

mitasol wrote:From DS memory ..

That is fine, thank you, I want to get DD to practice one or two essays between now and then so that helps a lot.
Haze

Post by Haze »

optimistic! wrote:
mitasol wrote:From DS memory ..

That is fine, thank you, I want to get DD to practice one or two essays between now and then so that helps a lot.
We haven't touched on this area. DS does "Big Write" at school which he alwasy dreads but isn't actually too bad at. There's so many side to writing; spelling, grammar, sentance construction, vocabulary, creative ideas and handwriting, where do you start trying to mark it, let alone improve it?

I'm reaching the "Que Sera Sera" point now. :?
optimistic!

Post by optimistic! »

Haze wrote:
optimistic! wrote:[quote="mitasol"..

I'm reaching the "Que Sera Sera" point now. :?
You and me both. I'm getting more relaxed about it the nearer it gets.

We were just talking about when to stop doing stuff to prepare, I was thinking the last week before but DH reckons do a few bits and pieces. I think I'll leave it up to DD.
Haze

Post by Haze »

We're running out of stuff! I have three full length papers left, so about one per week, plus the on-line stuff for the questions he's not fully confident with, but we're now down to the fine details of how to sit so he doesn't need to move the pencil so far, and how to get that pencil mark in the right place on the paper!!! :lol:

I'll be glad when it's over.
optimistic!

Post by optimistic! »

Haze wrote:We're running out of stuff! I have three full length papers left, so about one per week, plus the on-line stuff for the questions he's not fully confident with, but we're now down to the fine details of how to sit so he doesn't need to move the pencil so far, and how to get that pencil mark in the right place on the paper!!! :lol:

I'll be glad when it's over.
You and me both. I hadn't thought about the fine details, it's a good idea. lol.

I'm going to work out which ones she is not as confident with and focus on those for now I think.

As for test papers, we have the bond level 4 and 5 book from WH Smith with 20 test papers in, they are selling them for £5 at the moment if you feel like spending money and have a younger sibling who may make use of them later.
Haze

Post by Haze »

I think I already have them - bought the full set a couple of years ago but gave up using them when I learned more on here about the actual test format DS will be facing.
Shame, because he was flying through Bond at about 95% :shock:
optimistic!

Post by optimistic! »

Haze wrote:I think I already have them - bought the full set a couple of years ago but gave up using them when I learned more on here about the actual test format DS will be facing.
Shame, because he was flying through Bond at about 95% :shock:
DD is the same, maybe I shouldn't have been using Bond! oops

lol
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now