Alty Boys Entrance Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yunny

Alty Boys Entrance Exam

Post by yunny »

Hello, My son is currently in year 5 and I have been tutoring him myself and hoping he will be able to sit the exam next year for Alty Boys. Can anyone let me know if the exam includes a BIG comprehension piece. This is his only weakness, I have been giving him comprehension papers but he dosn't seem to answer the questions fully, he just gives the bare bones as his answer.

Another question I would like to ask is does living outside the catchment area of Alty minimises his chance of getting in. I have heard from other people that if you live outside the area you have to score very very high. Is this true?

Any replies much appreciated.
emsy

Post by emsy »

There is no comprehension in the exams. According to the website

"They consist of a Non-Verbal Reasoning test, a Verbal Reasoning test and a Maths test. In addition your son will be asked to write a short story. The content of the Maths test will be very similar to the sort of Maths that your son will have covered at KS2 in his primary school. The story will be used for internal review purposes if your son’s score is below the qualifying score of 334 but within 20 marks of it."

The school take boys in catchment who have passed first then fill the remaining places with boys from outside the catchment area based on score. I think someone mentioned 348 as the lowest score they took out of catchment last year.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Emsy you are right.

348 has been the mark at which AGSB have offered places to out of catchment boys for the past two years.My son has passed with a mark above that and we are now keeping everything crossed for a place in March , we are out of area as well.

You are right on the format also.

Good luck Yunny, what are you using to prepare?

We used Bond Maths, English,VR,NVR up to 10-11plus then AFN VR,NFER all 4 subjects and some Susan Daughtrey VR. I bought the web based NVR Part 2 from this site which was good, though we never got the time to use it in the end!!

Re NFER and AFN these are best left till after Bond as slightly harder, I think. Plus there are only four for each subject and so best left as practice before the exam.
yunny

Post by yunny »

:D
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Yunny PM on way
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now